Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

5 Posts

December 31st, 2017 09:00

580MT Upgrade to SSD HDD Combo

I tried to insert a link to the spec for my Inspiron 580 MT : Intel Core i5 Processor 750(2.66GHz,8MB)  but this forum interface defeated me.

I have two questions:

1. Why is the RAM shown as limited to 8MB?  Elsewhere, inculding some answers on the dell community forum imply that it is possible to install 16MB (4x4MB).  Some report having done this successfully including confirmation that the memories are working correctly post installation.

2. The spec also shows that the hard disk drive is limited to 1.5TB.  Why is this?  As I understand it, the processor is capable of 64 bit operation?

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 31st, 2017 12:00

If the specs say 8 GB max, that means Dell has only validated this system with 8 GB. Doesn't mean >8 won't work, but there's no guarantee that >8 GB will perform correctly. This system was originally released with 32-bit Vista, and a 32-bit OS can only use up to 4 GB. You need a 64-bit OS to use more than 4 GB.  

And keep in mind that when this system was released, 4 GB modules may not have been available or were too expensive for a home PC.

Max size of the HD is dependent on the BIOS, the chipset, and the version of Windows. Again, Dell may have only validated it with 1.5T drives. Vista uses the NTFS file storage system which doesn't allow the boot partition to be larger than 2T. So a larger drive would have to be partitioned into partitions of no more than 2T, each. Read this for some info about drive size and file formats for different versions of Windows.

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

5 Posts

December 31st, 2017 13:00

Excellent RoHe - thank you for the help

No Events found!