Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2005 11:00

8200 bios upgrade form A01 to A09?

Hope someone can help. In the Dell Bios downloads for the 8200 I saw 2 different ones. One was BD820009.exe and the other was D8200A09.EXE which is the one I tried. I downloaded it, saved to my floppy, restarted computer to boot from floppy, followed the directions, touched any key to start bios flash and I got an error. Something about legacy diskette and hard disk error i think. I didnt use the other download cause it says Ill lose all hard drive info. Am I doing something wrong? Is this the latest Bios Version? If someone could help guide me thru this I would appreciate it. Thank You.

9.4K Posts

March 13th, 2005 12:00

Just download the BD820009.exe version to your hard drive and run the program.  The program will then prompt you into creating a bootable BIOS upgrade floppy disk so have one available.  Once the floppy disk is created just reboot the machine with the floppy disk still in the floppy drive and the BIOS upgrade program will then run and prompt you into updating the BIOS.  If the BIOS upgrade program doesn't run after rebooting then check to see that the floppy drive is listed before the hard drive in the BIOS Setup's boot order.

As far as this BIOS version causing the loss of any hard drive info, it is unlikely.  This BIOS version will create it's own bootable floppy that will contain it's own MS-DOS operating system.  During the actual upgrading of the BIOS the hard drive isn't even accessed.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2005 12:00

Thank You! Ill give it a shot right now.

6 Posts

March 13th, 2005 13:00

Never mind! Got it working. Thanks again for your help Brother!

6 Posts

March 13th, 2005 13:00

Thanks again. Worked great and you made it so simple! Im really grateful. One more question. My Norton is not working now. What do I do?
No Events found!