Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2006 22:00

8300 failure. GYYG, checkpoint KRST

My son was using the 8300 the other day, got Bad_Pool_Caller and then memory dump.  He shut down by holding power button in for 5 seconds.  Now, when we boot, it either freezes on the bios screen with the bar partway across, or it says it's failed at checkpoint KRST.  Lights are GYYG.

Unplugged everything, tried different keyboard per other posts.  No change.  Remove battery.  Checked and it tests as weak.  Held power button in, then put battery back.  Reboot, no change.  Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 1st, 2006 00:00

Check the condition of the capacitors on the system board. This model is known for cap failure - if any are bulging and/or leaking, the system board should be replaced.

11.9K Posts

September 1st, 2006 11:00

@ejn63 wrote:
Check the condition of the capacitors on the system board. This model is known for cap failure - if any are bulging and/or leaking, the system board should be replaced.

On my list to do this weekend already, thanks.  Hoping that's NOT the issue.

11.9K Posts

September 1st, 2006 19:00

@rickmktg wrote:
My son was using the 8300 the other day, got Bad_Pool_Caller and then memory dump.  He shut down by holding power button in for 5 seconds.  Now, when we boot, it either freezes on the bios screen with the bar partway across, or it says it's failed at checkpoint KRST.  Lights are GYYG.

Unplugged everything, tried different keyboard per other posts.  No change.  Remove battery.  Checked and it tests as weak.  Held power button in, then put battery back.  Reboot, no change.  Any ideas?

Update - got new battery, it tested great, installed, no difference.  Motherboard light is green, back lights are GYYG still.

11.9K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 22:00

@rickmktg wrote:

UPDATE - removed battery, graphics card, memory sticks, unhooked all drives.  Attempted to boot.  Reinstalled everything, reset in bios, works fine.  DIAGNOSIS - it appears that battery was so low voltage that it caused the issue.  Never, ever, had this happen on a computer I've owned.

11.9K Posts

September 4th, 2006 12:00

@rickmktg wrote:

@rickmktg wrote:

UPDATE - removed battery, graphics card, memory sticks, unhooked all drives.  Attempted to boot.  Reinstalled everything, reset in bios, works fine.  DIAGNOSIS - it appears that battery was so low voltage that it caused the issue.  Never, ever, had this happen on a computer I've owned.

Well, it was too good to be true.  This morning is again displaying GYYG and stops booting part way through the bios screen.  No difference with drives disconnected, so it must be motherboard...

11.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2006 22:00

Turned out it was a bad memory stick despite the diagnosis of a bad motherboard.  System is now functional.

Message Edited by rickmktg on 09-23-2006 08:12 PM

No Events found!