Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2014 02:00

Adding Asus Radion HD 7870 Graphics Card to Inspiron 660

Hi,

Purchased a ASUS RADION HD 7870 Graphics card for my Inspiron 660 desktop, fitted card ok.... but the card never shows up in Device Manager list as hardware device when Windows is up and running?! (All lights on card are on and fans are running). Therefore driver/software supplied with card cannot be installed as the card is visible to the system.

I am assuming of course I can upgrade the graphics card in this PC, as the ePCI slot was the same.... but wanted to check if possible

Any ideas//comments?

Thanks

January 16th, 2014 04:00

.... And the answer is........Both 6 pin power connectors have to connected to the GPU!!!..........Not just one.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 13th, 2014 02:00

Hi LimetreeMKB,

I would suggest you to uninstall the video card on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type devmgmt.msc and then press enter.
  3. Select the ‘Standard VGA Graphics Adapter’ device under Display adapter and right click on it.
  4. Now select properties.
  5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.
  6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”
  7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver supplied by the manufacturer.

Please let me know if this helps.

January 13th, 2014 03:00

Thanks.... will try that.

Should I also do the same for the Discrete graphics card that was supplied with the Inspiron 660 by Dell when I purchased new - NVIDIA GeForce GT 640....?

Its the NVIDIA that I really wanted to replace with the ASUS?!

January 13th, 2014 06:00

Maybe a stupid question..... but if I uninstall the system video drivers and the NVIDIA drivers, wont I loose control of the PC interface?!

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 16th, 2014 08:00

Hi LimetreeMKB,

Sorry for the delayed response. It’s good that the issue with the video card is fixed. Please let me know if you still face any concerns.

No Events found!