Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2008 00:00

Are 60C-70C temperatures normal for a Q6600 processor?

I finally received my XPS 630 about 3 days ago and everytime I go to nVidia System Monitor to check my temperatures my CPU temps usually vary somewhere between 50C - 70C for the 4 different cores (I've even seen CPU-4 get as hot as 74C). Also, it isn't even overclocked, it varies between 2.4ghz with a 9x multiplier and 1.6ghz with a 6x multiplier as it must need to cool off when it goes above 70C. It still has the stock cooler and fan that Dell shipped it to me with and is running at only 26% fan speed, and for some strange reason whenever I try to crank up the CPU fan speed (like to 50%) my CPU cores get even hotter, and I have to quickly restore the fan speed back to 29% because I'm afraid my CPU might catch fire or something.

So my question is, is it normal to have CPU temps stable in the high 60s? And how come my CPU gets hotter when I increase the fan speed? I use my computer for hours per day gaming and doing everyday tasks so I'm wondering if non-stop 65C+ degree temperatures will cause any damage in the long-term. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Matt

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of my current CPU temps so you can get the idea of what I'm talking about ;). Sorry about the bad quality, ImageShack only allows a certain size you can upload. Hopefully you can still see the numbers though :).

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6141/q6600tempsjf4.gif

Message Edited by X Matt X on 07-29-2008 08:25 PM

I am over clocked to 3.2 Ghz and my temps using CoreTemp run about 55 degrees at fan speed 1200. Get the CoreTemp app and see what it says your temps are running.

The temps on my NVida Monitor read 45 when CoreTemp is reading 55. I think the nvida monitor is displaying the temps to a TJunc of 100 degrees so 45 degrees is actually 55 degrees (100 - 45). This would explain why you are seeing the temps increase when the fan speed increases.

I don't have a link to the CoreTemp utility, but Google it and you should find it fairly easily.

14.4K Posts

open the case and look at the arrow on the heat sink. the arrow should be pointint to the rear of the case. your temps are not good.

11 Posts

July 30th, 2008 01:00

@TwistedRider wrote:

I am over clocked to 3.2 Ghz and my temps using CoreTemp run about 55 degrees at fan speed 1200. Get the CoreTemp app and see what it says your temps are running.

The temps on my NVida Monitor read 45 when CoreTemp is reading 55. I think the nvida monitor is displaying the temps to a TJunc of 100 degrees so 45 degrees is actually 55 degrees (100 - 45). This would explain why you are seeing the temps increase when the fan speed increases.

I don't have a link to the CoreTemp utility, but Google it and you should find it fairly easily.

WOW! I just installed CoreTemp and my cores are varying between 30C - 42C (way more normal). Maybe nVidia System Monitor is glitched, because I didn't believe it when it said I'm getting 74C on idle on a stock-speed processor. Now I'm gonna see what happens when I crank up my CPU fan. :)

EDIT: Cranked up my CPU fan to 100% and 1 of the cores got down to 24C which is below room temperature :D I just hope these CoreTemp temperatures are accurate and are not just guessing or something. :P

Message Edited by X Matt X on 07-29-2008 09:39 PM

1.2K Posts

July 30th, 2008 08:00

AFAIK the 65nm Core 2 Quads are good for up to 85C. So it looks like you´re in the right ballpark now.

Just to remove all concern....

A thing to do to check stability and to check your temperatures would be to run a CPU torture test overnight (Prime95 is what I use - google it).

This will load your processor up to the full and generate the max amount of heat possible.

If it cools properly in this condition, it´s perfectly okay and stable. It´s very seldom in day to day usage that your processor is loaded 100% with 4 threads.

If you don´t see a BSOD in the morning there´s no need to worry. ;)

Message Edited by mfinnan101 on 07-30-2008 11:00 AM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 30th, 2008 09:00

I have the Intel provided "Intel Desktop Utilities" monitor for my Intel M/B and Q6600.  It generally runs around 47-50 C (it's at 50 right now).  It will go up to around 60 with some games (e.g. Soldier of Fortune) but that's the max.  (The Intel graph shows up to 80 as being in the "green" zone).

July 30th, 2008 09:00

From what I'm able to gather, Coretemp, CPUz, RivaTuner(for Nvidia Cards), and Prime95 are the utilities of choice for overclocking.   

14.4K Posts

July 30th, 2008 11:00

Those temps are really good and at the normally levels. My 6600 idles at around 35 on all 4 and up to 40-45 under load. The fact that you see the temps decrease under load is precisely what a cooling system is supposed to do.

105 Posts

July 30th, 2008 17:00

I have a similiar problem.  When idle my NVIDIA System Monitor reports my CPU cores in the high 50's C to low 60's C, but Real Temp and Core Temp report the CPU cores in the low to mid 30's C.

CPU Temps Idle

Under stress the NVIDIA System Monitor reports the CPU cores in the low 40's C, but Real Temp and Core Temp report the CPU cores in the high 50's C to low 60's C.

CPU Temps Stressed 

So I tend to believe it's the NVIDIA System Monitor that's at fault and I believe the Real Temp and Core Temp numbers are the accurate ones.

Message Edited by devjonfos on 07-30-2008 12:29 PM

14.4K Posts

July 30th, 2008 20:00

Ntune's temp reporting(among all the other things) has been suspect since it first came out in 2006 so no surprise there. I have used Core Temp since..

105 Posts

July 31st, 2008 00:00

@Davet50 wrote:
Ntune's temp reporting(among all the other things) has been suspect since it first came out in 2006 so no surprise there. I have used Core Temp since..

Sounds good.  I just wanted to report it since they're working on the ESA suite of software and I'm running the latest batch based on this post.

14.4K Posts

July 31st, 2008 00:00

FYI the ESA Software is just Ntune on Steroids. They took the three programs and combined them into one and renamed it. Add a little bling and set it upon the masses. :smileytongue:
No Events found!