Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2005 03:00

BACKUP CD'S

GOT A NEW DIMENSION 1100 - WITHOUT BACKUP CD'S FOR WINDOWS XP.
WANT DO YOU DO IF THE HARD DRIVE FAILS? OR IS IT PER LOADED ON THE
MOTHER BOARD NOW?

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

See this post.

18 Posts

To what I know...Dell could actually give it to you if you'd call tech support and ask for it.

But they have this media reduction program which your HDD has a preinstalled image of your OS in it.

then if you have a problem on windows and wants to restart over your system you could just tap on CTRL+F11 on the splash screen to have the PC restore started. (note: you'd loose all files with this process):smileyhappy:

1 Message

December 5th, 2005 10:00

Hi Just Mad, I'm rather mad at the moment.

I just received a new Dimension 1100 last week also. You need to call Tech Support. 

The info when you purchase is misleading....you're supposed to be able to make a copy. No discs were included for Windows XP Home Edition. The Micro$oft EULA (under section 2 ) states that you can make one copy of Windows XP for Backup & to reinstall. You absolutely need this!

I spoke will a Dell tech support person (I have to call back after I speak with customer service because they don't show my computer as being received yet...uggh...it was obvious to me & the tech rep that I did in fact have it). Anyway, I was told that the Dell utility for making a copy of Windows XP was removed because there was an imaging problem making the disc. They would in fact send me a CD after I get the issue fixed with customer service (sounds like FEMA red tape bull doesn't it?).

Go to Start> Program Files> Dell Accessories   You will probably see that you don't have an option for the "Dell OS Recovery CD".

Nice, eh? They removed the utility, and the CD should have been supplied if they were really up on their customer service to begin with. I've since had another problem after installing a program & that disc would have been real helpful. Not too happy about the situation, but what can you do...All I can say is tech support & customer service better be kind & helpful when I call later today.

Make sure to request a disc for drivers too on the advice of another thread. More info here: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_mediaexp&message.id=1895

and some info here: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713

Looks like the time span is up, but when purchasing my computer, it said I would be able to create the disc without the $10.00 fee for purchasing it. Also, I'm holding them to the Microsoft EULA...I paid for it & it's my right to have it!

Good luck. 

No Events found!