Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2015 15:00

BSOD with unmountable boot volume error and upgrade from XP to Win7 on OptiPlex 755 minitower desktop

I have an OptiPlex 755 with XP Pro OS purchased in early 2009.  I have BSOD.  Initial error was Kernel_Stack_Inpage_error STOP:  0x00000077.   Then after the 1st attempt to reboot the error message changed to Unmountable boot volume STOP:  0x000000ED.  Several attempts at normal  restart failed with the same unmountable boot volume error message.  I hit F8 repeatedly on boot up and tried to reboot in SAFE MODE but still got BSOD with unmountable boot volume error.  This desktop still has the original two 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with 8MB data burst cache hard drives (6 years old.)  My last data backup was 1.5 years ago (not bragging...)  

Is there anything I should try before removing my hard drive(s) to see if I can recover data to another household PC (Dell Inspiron laptop) using the USB 2.0 to SATA drive adapter cable I just ordered from cablestogo.com?  I've had a couple HD failures in the last 18 years on other home PC’s and was always able to recover data by swapping locations of primary/secondary HD in the desktop with new HD loaded with new OS.  (lucky...)  

I need to upgrade XP to Win7.   Which version of Win7 do I need to order?  I think I need Win7 Home Premium 32 bit. But even knowing that, there are multiple choices on which Win7 to buy.

How do I determine if my motherboard will handle two 2TB WD Black 3.5inch 64MB Cache 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s transfer rate hard drives from Amazon?  My OptiPlex 755 minitower has a Core 2 Duo E6750/2.66GHz, 4M, VT 1333FSB with NTFS file system.   THX

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 00:00

i am looking for hours and nothing seems to help and then I found this

How To Fix BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume STOP: 0x000000ed ?

http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bsod-unmountable-boot-volume-stop-0x000000ed/

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 21st, 2015 18:00

You can read Topic 2 here for help with the 0x000000ED error.

At one point Dell sold the 755 with Vista 64-bit so you should be able to run Win 7 64-bit.  If you go for Win 7 64-bit you could to increase the RAM up to the max supported (8 GB) while 32-bit only supports up to 4 GB.  

You can read this to get some feel for differences between Home Premium and Pro. You will need to get a disk with a valid Product Key to install Win 7, so be sure you buy from reputable source. :emotion-5:

The 755 motherboard only supports SATA1 and SATA2, but a SATA3 hard drive should be backwardly compatible with a SATA2 board, but will only run at SATA2 speed (3 Gb/s). So buying a SATA2 drive(s) might be cheaper.

The mini-tower supports up to 4 SATA HDD, but somebody else will have tell you if it can support drives as large as 2T.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 21st, 2015 18:00

The main pluses of Professional for home users is that supports Terminal Server, which allows for remote log ins, and the Encrypting File System. The rest of its extra features are intended for use with domains, normally not used in home networks. 

I'd suggest x64, whichever version you choose. Newegg had Pro on sale for $120 with free shipping, but I think the special is over.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2015 13:00

Or you can get can get an OEM Win 7 Pro 64-bit disk here for $72 or Home Premium for $67.50 here. Just be sure to ask if they include SP1 or not.

I actually installed Win 7 Pro+SP1  (32-bit) using a free download of the .iso file from Digital River that included SP1 (totally legal). That gave me 30 days after installing to make sure there were no issues with my old hardware.  There were >100 updates to install even after having started with the Win7 .iso that included SP1.  

After everything was working, I ordered the disk for $72+ shipping (~$75 total).  I mentioned this was upgrading Dell PC so they sent a Dell OEM disk. I used the Windows Product Key on that disk and it activated the installation on very first attempt.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2015 00:00

Thx for the 3 replies and good advice.   Looks complicated to make any headway on my BSOD since I can't boot back up in safe mode.  So I'm going to buy a new hard drive and Win7 home premium and try 64 bit OS.   I  checked my notes and the XP Pro OS that is on the crashed desktop now was 32 bit; but the Dell invoice says the OptiPlex 755 came with a Vista premium downgrade to XP pro.  (When I ordered it in 2009 Vista wasn't a preferred OS.)  So I'll take a chance and try Win7 home premium 64bit with media probably from bestbuy.com for $95.  This desktop is 6 years old; but should run a few more years.  Seems silly to buy a pc every 5-6 years....

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 24th, 2015 17:00

3 Posts

February 10th, 2015 20:00

Thx for all the good advice.  Here's a progress report.  I figured out how to run the dell diagnostics in the F12 boot up menu and confirmed several bad sectors on my hard drive with error code 0F00:1332.  Time for a new hard drive to replace my 6 year old Hitachi 250GB.  My OptiPlex 255 was equipped with twin Hitachi 250 GB HDD, CDROM drive, DVD ROM drive and 4.5 inch floppy.  I kept the good Hitachi 250GB and replaced the bad one with a Western Digital Blue 1TB 6.0gb/s 1TB hard drive.  I ran the F2 boot sequence to load Win7 64bit from the DVDROM and the new WD HDD.  My motherboard handled the 64bit Win7 OS without any problems. Notes from earlier said I had a 32bit version of Win XP, so I was pleased Win7 x64 loaded OK.   I used an OS disc from bestbuy.com purchased online for $95.  The WD Blue 1TB HD cost about $65 at the local BB store.  Sales at the local BB store were very helpful.  A couple calls to Dell sales support about what HDD and OS 64 or 32 bit OS to buy were not very helpful due to language barrior and lack of knowledge on both ends of the telephone.  After taking my case apart a few times I still respect Dell products.   I had most of my files backed up on an external HD about 1.5 years ago (or more recently on a thumb drive) and since I'm retired I can live with any loss of files.  Office 2003 loaded OK.  After booting up I tried to retrieve files from my bad HD via a SATA to USB cable with power cable from C2G (failed) and by mounting the bad HD as a nonboot drive in my case (failed D:\ is not accessible request could not be performed because of a I/O device error).  Tasks remaining:  Email setup& recovery from Office 2003, download and reload other software, and perhaps spend more time to see if I can recover more from failed HD.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 11th, 2015 10:00

Sounds like you're well on the way to getting this system back to good health.

Too bad about not being able to access files on the old drive. Depending on how 'desperate" you are, there are apps like SpinRite which is excellent at recovering data from bad HDD sectors. The downside is SpinRite costs US$90 so it's not inexpensive...

Hope the rest of the reinstall goes smoothly!

No Events found!