Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2009 20:00

Blinking yellow light

I have this bad blinking yellow light problem.

The power button is blinking yellow.

I tried the standard remedy that used to fix the problem for me; power down, remove all peripherals and then power up again.

Always used to work but does not now.

I followed the web guidance and removed memory cards, etc, but still get a blinking yellow power light.

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 4th, 2023 22:00

Helpful Video:

(edited)

11 Posts

I had this same exact problem and a new power source worked for me. Good luck

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Simon1175

Does the power supply fan run, are the diagnostic lights on the front panel lite?

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates, a power supply or system board failure has occurred.

To test the motherboard, you need a know working power supply.

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and if power supply fan and hard drive runs, the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, then check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or no diagnostic lights on the front/back panel, then it would appear that motherboard has died.

Bev.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2009 09:00

Hi Nick - I am having the same problem BRAND NEW XPS 435 MT. One week into it, it won't boot unless I try 50 times and then go through a "system check". Shut it down (gracefully), same problem. When you say "new power source", do you mean a different all outlet? Or do you mean a different power supply (argh - brand new, I DON"T want to have to do that). Thanks!

doug

3 Posts

Having the same problem.

Machine is 4500s. Yellow light is flashing

Led on motherboard is on as well.

Machine worked perfectly befor. Added new memory and additional HD.

Checked power source. Works.

Removed all cards. No results.

Connected green wire with black one....no result either.

All indicator lights on the back are off?

Urgent help needed!!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

art2009,

Remove the new memory and put ours back in. Same issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

May 4th, 2009 10:00

dsimmons77,

435MT - Blinking Amber Power Button
The computer is receiving electrical power, and power supplied by the power supply is normal. A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.
Reseat all cards, cables, plugs, and ram.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2009 11:00

Chris,

Thanks for the reaction.

Unfortunately, same issue.

One memory was original installed (500M). The second supplied by Dell 2 months ago.

Could it be the battery on the motherboard?

Appreciate your help!

3 Posts

May 5th, 2009 02:00

Dear all,

Still no change.

Removed and tried all configurations of RAM- no change

Took power cable out during the night -  when re-plugging, the yellow led on the motherboard started to burn immediately, wereas the light in power bottun only after pushing it?

No diagnostic light is burning (all off).

Any suggestions left?

Appreciate your reactions!

ART2009

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 5th, 2009 12:00

art2009

Does the power supply fan run when the 4500s is powered up?

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following to test the power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on and if power supply fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

1 Message

July 31st, 2012 14:00

My Dimension C521 had a dead power supply. It wouldn't do anything when pressing the power button.

The replacement ordered on eBay came and produced the blinking amber / orange light. Turns out the replacement PSU came set to 230V SO MAKE SURE your power supply is set to 110 / 115V.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2012 15:00

My Dimension C521 had a dead power supply. It wouldn't do anything when pressing the power button.

The replacement ordered on eBay came and produced the blinking amber / orange light. Turns out the replacement PSU came set to 230V SO MAKE SURE your power supply is set to 110 / 115V.

dellmike53

SOP, is to alway check the power supply input voltage, even with a system shipped new from the factory. :emotion-5:

Bev.

No Events found!