Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2012 03:00

Bluescreen Error 0x0000007B _ CHKDSK /F

Dear Sir or Madam,

Dear Dell and Dell Community,

I've encountered the following problem: Bluescreen at booting (operating system Windows XP) / Error Code 0x0000007B 
If I read your online support correctly, I now have to run CHKDSK /F from a system CD (restore). 
I don't have such a CD/DVD, as it said in a paper of my Dell Desktop (Dimension 9150) that my computer does not require an operating system CD, which is obviously not true.
Best regards 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 24th, 2012 05:00

Hi Loremipsum,

If you call Dell customer service in your country, you can order replacement discs for your desktop. There may be a nominal fee.

However, your first step should be to perform the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive to see if there is a problem with the drive itself. For that, you can boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc.

2 Posts

October 1st, 2012 06:00

Thank you Osprey,

the problem is that 1.) I don't have a Dell drivers and utilites disc, as it was not enclosed in the package either when I bought the PC in 2005; 2.) when I called Dell customer service, they denied any service and even a replacement disc, as "they don't service any PC older than 5 years".

It's not the kind of service I would expect from a company like this one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 13:00

Ok, you can go here and download the diagnostics. One version is an ISO you can use to prepare a bootable CD.

If your drive needs to be replaced, you're going to need a Dell XP reinstallation disc. You can usually find them for about US$10 or so. Or ask a friend to borrow their disc.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

"STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

CHKDSK is not going to fix a physically  bad drive especially if it is 5 years or more old.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 14:00

Run BIOS Setup (reboot and press F2). Look for the SATA Operation setting.

Assuming SATA drivers were installed on this system during installation of the OS, SATA Operation should be set to RAID Autodetect/AHCI. If SATA drivers weren't installed, SATA Operation should be set to RAID Autodetect/ ATA.

Try changing that setting from whatever it is now to the alternative setting. Be sure to save the change before exiting BIOS Setup and see if it boots now. You can safely do this without any harm to the system, the hard drive or the data on the drive.

If the motherboard battery is weak, these settings may have gotten corrupted and that's why you're getting the 7B error.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 29th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                    

No Events found!