Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2016 15:00

Bluetooth headphones won't reconnect to XPS 8900

I just bought a pair of Bose QC35 bluetooth headphones and although I can get them to connect and play sound on the first try, I cannot reconnect them and get sound afterwards. The system is an XPS 8900 bought last year running Windows 10 64bit. Even stranger, when I turn bluetooth on through the Windows settings, it tries to reconnect even though I haven't turned the headphones on.

I have an older XPS 8500 that was able to connect to the headphones just fine and reconnect without any problems.

The only way I can get the headphones to work again with the XPS 8900 is if I uninstall the headphones and then restart the computer.

I have updated the bluetooth drivers and gone though other troubleshooting. It's just strange that on my older system the headphones work flawlessly. Makes me wonder if there is some bloatware like Dell Audio screwing things up.

Thanks for any help!

6 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 11:00

Nothing worked so I just reinstalled Windows 10. Now the headphones connect without any issues. Thanks for your help.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2016 10:00

Seems like I'm getting the same issues with my other set of bluetooth headphones, so it's definitely not a Bose issue.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

burnsider,

Have you tried updating your QC 35's software?

The current version is 1.0. You can click the link below to update.

http://dell.to/2i1U7Uu

6 Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

Yes. I'm at the latest version which is 1.0.6.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 20th, 2016 07:00

burnsider,

1. Pair your device, confirm that it is working
2. Disconnect your device, connect to something else and confirm that you are not automatically reconnecting to windows.
3. Right click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
4. Select "Playback Devices"
5. You should see your paired devices in here.
6. Right click the paired device and you will see "Test, connect, disable, set as default...etc etc etc.
7. Click "Connect" at this point.

Informatiojn from Bose Website Below.

When powered on, the headphones try to reconnect with the two most recently connected devices. Make sure the devices are within range and powered on with Bluetooth® enabled.
If the device you would like to connect to is not one of the two most recently connected devices, follow the steps below to connect to another previously paired device.
Slide the power switch to the Bluetooth symbol then release it to hear which device is connected.
Within two seconds, slide the power switch to the Bluetooth symbol and release again to connect to the next device in the headphone pairing list. Repeat until you hear the correct device name.
Play audio on the connected Bluetooth device.
Note: The headphones can remember up to eight paired Bluetooth devices in its pairing list and can be actively connected to two devices at a time.

6 Posts

December 20th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for your help Jesse. Bad news is that Windows 10 is not even finding any bluetooth devices now. I can pair the headphones fine to my phone or other Windows 10 PC, but this PC now is not even finding any bluetooth devices that are in pairing mode.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 21st, 2016 14:00

burnsider,

Click the link below for resolving the issue with the bluetooth not detecting devices.\

Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10: FAQ

support.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-fix-bluetooth-problems

Fix connections to Bluetooth audio devices and wireless displays

support.microsoft.com/.../fix-connections-to-bluetooth-audio-devices-and-wireless-displays

How to Fix Bluetooth Pairing Problems

www.techlicious.com/.../

1. Turn on the Bluetooth adapter in the computer.
  2. Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
  3. In the Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound.
  4. In the Hardware and Sound window, under Devices and Printers, click Add a Bluetooth device. Image
  5. Configure your Bluetooth headphones to be discoverable.
  6. In the Add a device window, click to select Bluetooth headset and then click the Next button.

NOTES:

• The name of your Bluetooth headphones may be different.
    • You may be prompted to enter a code for your Bluetooth headphones, check the manufacturer's instructions for the code or trying entering: 0000
  7. After the Bluetooth headset connection is successful, click the Close button. Image
  8. Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
  9. In the Control Panel window, click Hardware and Sound.
  10. In the Hardware and Sound window, click Sound.
  11. In the Sound window, click to select Bluetooth Hands-free Audio and then click the Set Default button.

NOTE: After the Bluetooth audio device is the default playback device, a green checkmark appears next to the device.

12. Click the OK button.

NOTES:

• Any sound that is normally heard through the computer speakers should now be heard through the Bluetooth headphones.
  • When you want to hear sound through the computer speakers again, make the computer speakers the default playback device or just disconnect the headphones.

No Events found!