Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2010 23:00

Booting OS from PCI SATA Controller Card

I have a Dell dimension 8100 that I recently started to use after my old xps-t died.     I have a promise SATA300 SATA controller card and a SATA HD I use for my Win XP and I'd like to boot this drive (C:) from the pci card but with no os hd attached to the primary ide channel the message no operating system found shows up and I have to press F1 to get C: drive to boot from the controller card.    I'd like to set this up so the OS Hard Drive will boot automatically from the pci sata controller card without having to press the F1 key after os is not found on ide channel by setup.

Is there a way to do this?    Step by step process?   I'm running Bios XP2.

I previously used my xps-t ide channel only for cd-rom/cdWriter and had my system booting from the sata300 pci card along with 2 storage sata hard drives.   I'd like to setup this 8100 to run the same way.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 19th, 2010 23:00

I had a 2350 booting from a SATA card ... I had to "trick" the BIOS into thinking there was an IDE drive by installing an IDE drive, entering BIOS setup, and selecting the option to boot from the hard drive. Afterwards, I removed the IDE drive and the machine would boot from the SATA drive. If I entered the BIOS setup again without the IDE drive installed, the automatic boot-from-SATA would no longer work.

No Events found!