Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 12:00

Bootup trouble - power problem?

Started up my (somewhat ageing) Dimension E520 on Friday evening, after powering it off the night before.  All activity up to that point had been normal, no noticeable problems with the computer.

When I started it up, the power light came on - green, I think, but I will check when next it does this - and three numbers lit up on the front of the unit - 1, 3, and 4. The 1 was blinking and the computer was producing an odd ticking noise in time with it.  Monitor seemed to be receiving no input at all - something I'm familiar with identifying.

I powered it down after a few minutes, and tried to start it again. Same reaction, with the ticking stopping after a few minutes. Eventually, after a few hopeful tries the computer started normally, with nothing unusual barring a system message before Windows loaded stating that the startup had previously failed, mentioning the [WAKE] error code.

Each time I turn on the PC, I go through this process. When the PC does turn on, everything is completely fine - I can find no signs of any problem whatsoever through Device Managers, etc, all the usual methods.

So - I imagine I should worry about this problem, since it can only be a prelude to something worse. But what is causing this, and is it easily repaired?  If it is a hardware component problem - as I imagine it is - how would I go about diagnosing and replacing the part?

1 Message

March 22nd, 2009 07:00

I have a similar problem with my E520 desktop system. Previously the problem was intermittent but now the system never finishes the boot process. The "Power On Self Test"  indicators 1, 3 and 4 are lit constantly. My system is less than two years old. The monitor does not give any indication that a boot is taking place (black screen). I have tested the monitor with another computer and it works fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

14.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 08:00

1,3,4 lights are an undocumented troubleshooting aid. This generally means a  motherboard issue. So to try and isolated it and you are both comfortable working inside your system try these steps

For all the steps note the following indications:

The color and condition of the power button light.

The diagnostic lights that are on/off

Do you hear any beeps.

Do you hear the system fans spin up

1. First unplug all external devices from the system except the keyboard, mouse, monitor  power on and note the conditions.

2 .Open the case and start by removing all the ram sticks and plug in cards. Power on and note the above indications.

3 .As a last step unplug the power going to your hard drives and opticals and again note the above indications.

If after each of these steps there is no change and the system fans are spinning, then that generally means the powersupply is ok and the only thing left is the motherboard.

Try this and report back to us.

1 Message

March 26th, 2009 03:00

Hi, I have the same problem with my Dell Dimension 600.

When I press the power button, the power button lights green toghether with some other lights like hard disk, battery and blutoth.

They light up for about 5 seconds, there is a ticking noise for 5 seconds which seems to come out of the speaker?

There is no fan spinning up, ther is no hard disc activity....

I have to press the power button several times....and then all of the sudden the Laptop starts up.....

the problem seems to be getting worse and worse....

No Events found!