Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2013 11:00

COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN OPTIPLEX GX240 AND THE Dimension 4550

I have a Optiplex GX240 and a friend pulled his drive out of his Dimensions 4550 and was going to junk it for something else. So I took the chassis and it looks to be a match for my Optiplex  GX240. So my question is could I pull my hard drive out and put it in the Dimensions without and issue's. If this isnt possible then I would like advise on speeding up my Optiplex Gx240. I add an extra drive for memory but it just seem to take lots of time to D/L anything. I mostly use it for social stuff and movies and games. So all advise welcome Thanks Warsteiner

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 7th, 2013 12:00

If it's a PATA drive, it should work, but you'll likely need to perform a Windows install, repair or otherwise.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 7th, 2013 19:00

GX240 is SDRAM Motherboard.  4550 is something else.  Stop 7b boot device not found.

You cant swap mix and match.  This is not supported. You could reinstall from scratch but thats not the same thing.:emotion-3:

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 7th, 2013 20:00

In a worst case, a repair install will work. Sometimes, just sometimes, an install from a different motherboard will work on its own.

No Events found!