Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2010 18:00

Can't get past Dell Bios Screen

I left my computer up and still on the internet this past weekend.  When I came down the next morning the Dell Bios Screen was up and I couldn't get past it.  I thought it was my wireless batteries so I changed them and no help.  The communication device for the microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard does not have a light showing any longer.  I have tried another wireless keyboard and mouse that I know works and it appears the same problem is present no light.  So I assume something is going on with the USB ports or either I have to get past the bios page to get power to the devices.  Any ideas thanks.

Windows XP

Dell Inspiron 530S Desktop 

14.4K Posts

September 28th, 2010 19:00

what you should do is disconnect all external devices except for the keyboard and mouse, and if possible connect them directly to the system and not through a hub or something like that and see if it will get past the bios post. if not then disconnect all the devices keyboard and mouse included. 

If that is still a no go, then perhaps a CMOS 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

reset would be in order.

7 Posts

September 29th, 2010 06:00

Thanks.  I disconnected everything and that seemed to solve the problem.  I appreciate the help!

14.4K Posts

September 29th, 2010 07:00

That would mean that one of your usb devices is having an issue or that particular port is. What you need to do is start reconnecting things one at a time. I would start with the keyboard and make sure its directly connected to the system without any hub or such

No Events found!