Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 5th, 2007 18:00

Chipset drivers for xps 720

Hi, I was wondering if you guys know what chipset drivers I should download for my xps 720 running vista. Can you give me a link or which file on the dell website. I have been getting a memory dump and blue screen lately as well.  I have  the latest  nvidia gpu drivers, all microsft hotfixes, and all microsft updates as well. I am wondering if I have missed something. I try to find chipset drivers for vista and the xps 720 on dell's website but cannot find any.

xps 720,q6600,8800gtx,4 gig pc2 8500,   Thanks madbirmy

40 Posts

November 5th, 2007 18:00

Yeah, it is weird that it's not showing up on their site. 720s use the nforce 680i SLI chipset though, which you can get here

40 Posts

November 5th, 2007 21:00

Yeah, if the features aren't available on your motherboard they should just disable themselves automatically.

303 Posts

November 5th, 2007 21:00

Should I install this even if the dell xps 720 motherboard doesn't support a couple of those features listed.  Thanks  madbirmy

40 Posts

November 6th, 2007 03:00

The icon's just showing up there because the nvidia chipset allows for hot-swappable SATA drives - you can safely (in theory) unplug your dvd drive while the computer's running. It's a functionality they mostly built in with eSATA external hard drives in mind, but it also means you get that little icon. Don't worry about it, it sounds like there's nothing wrong.

303 Posts

November 6th, 2007 03:00

Hi, I installed the nforce chipset drivers 15.08 and when I restart the computer it gives me a icon on the toolbar. it says safely remove hardware. I double click it and it gives me my tsst dvd+rw cd rom device, wdc disk device which I assume is my hard drive. Why does it give me this icon on the toolbar. did I do something wrong and how do I get it off the toolbar. I right click icon as well and it says to safely remove hardware.  Should I uninstall the chipset drivers completely  any suggestions. I di unistall the media shield part in the nvidia drivers in the control panel and the icon is gone. what is the media shield and do I need it to keep my computer running stable.  Thanks  madbirmy

303 Posts

November 6th, 2007 11:00

ok what about the other thing the wdc-wd25-disk device. My hard drive. is there anything i can do do to get this icon to go away or should i just deal with it.  Thanks madbirmy. Oh yes should I have the media shield installed or not.
No Events found!