Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2012 09:00

Computer Will Not Turn On

I have a Dell Dimenson 8400 XP MCE 2005 that will not turn on. It had been working fine up until 3 days ago. When I push the start button, nothing happens. No lights, etc. Does this mean I need a new power supply, a new start switch, or what?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 8th, 2012 08:00

mepoole1

Again, what colour is the power button LED and is it solid, or blinking and are there any 'Beeps'?

The four diagnostic lights, on the back panel are located next to the Green and Purple PS2 ports.

Try removing all the peripherals, except monitor, mouse and keyboard, disconnect the power cord, then press and holding the power button for around 30 seconds, reconnect the power cord directly into the outlet and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

3.3K Posts

November 27th, 2012 10:00

Hi mepoole1,

Follow below steps to isolate the issue:

1. Ensure to disconnect all the external devices from the computer.
  2. Try a different wall outlet, then try to power on the system. 
  3. Reseat the power cord which is connected to “Power Supply” of the system tower, then try to power the Desktop system. 
  4. SWAP the power cord of the Monitor with the system power cord, and then try to power on the Desktop system.

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 27th, 2012 11:00

mepoole1

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Check the sequence of the diagnostic lights on the back panel of the case.

The 8400 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter is  HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Are there any error messages, or 'Beeps'?

Bev.

November 27th, 2012 14:00

Hi mepoole1,

in addition you might also want to try releasing the flea power which works most of the times on Desktop computers

steps:

1. unplug the computer from wall socket.

2.press and hold the power button for about 10 to 20 seconds.

3. connect the computer again to power outlet at the wall socket.

4. try power on the computer.

Thanks & Regards

fayaz khan

#iworkfordell

10 Posts

Nothing happened. I could find no diagnostic  lights on the back.

Another party suggested unplugging the computer, press and holding the power button for

10 to 20 seconds, replugging and trying to power on the computer. That Worked.

However, now when I power on, the computer goes through startup, I can see XP loading,

but I then get a blue screen with "STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error, Unknown Hard Error".

Thanks for your help, most appreciated.

10 Posts

Nothing happened.

Another party suggested unplugging the computer, press and holding the power button for

However, now when I power on, the computer goes through startup, I can see XP loading,
but I then get a blue screen with "STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error, Unknown Hard Error".

10 Posts

Nothing happened.

10 Posts

December 19th, 2012 12:00

All 4 lights are yellow

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2012 12:00

mepoole1

Again, what colour is the power button LED and is it solid, or blinking and are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

10 Posts

December 19th, 2012 13:00

The power button LED appears yellow or light green and  it is solid

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 19th, 2012 16:00

mepoole1

A solid amber power switch LED, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed, first try the following and see if they make a difference,

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.

Remove and then reinstall any cards.

Remove and then reinstall the graphics card.

While the case is open, you check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

No difference and if you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2015 08:00

This worked for me, thanks.
No Events found!