Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 31st, 2005 18:00

Computer not recognizing USB ports

My screen name says it all: USBereft. All my USB ports worked fine until one day last week when I accidentally disconnected my daughter's iPod Shuffle while it was downloading music from our hard drive. Now the computer does not recognize anything plugged into any USB port--not the camera, the iPod, a flash drive, etc.

I have chatted four different times with Dell online support techs. We have checked to be sure the USB ports are working through a diagnostic test, and the report was fine. We have uninstalled all the ports and allowed them to reinstall themselves. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the iPod software. Finally, out of desperation, I performed not one but TWO restores to take my system back to a time when it was working. Nothing has worked so far.

I am completely frustrated and would appreciate any advice anyone out there might have.

Thanks,
USBereft

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2005 19:00

Hi,

What model computer and what Operating System, would help.

Go into Device Manager and remove all entries for USB.

Reboot and re-install chipset drivers when prompted.

If you are running Windows XP also install Windows XP SP 1 to get USB 2 working

hth

Ceri

2 Posts

December 31st, 2005 19:00

This is a Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP. I have already uninstalled all the USB ports three times and allowed them to reinstall themselves when I rebooted, but that procedure didn't help. I don't understand what you mean by "reinstall chipset drivers when prompted." There were no prompts when I rebooted. I'm not very computer literate, unfortunately, and much of this information is new to me. Sorry!

Thanks for trying to help me!

USBereft
No Events found!