Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2015 14:00

Connecting A Second SATA Harddrive

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 620, and I am trying to install a new Seagate 1TB harddrive...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

I am new to SATA, and I need to purchase a second SATA data cable, but I am not sure what to order. The Dell-installed drive uses a blue cable, but does that mean it transfers data at 6 gb per second? Are SATA data cables color-coded? Should I use a red, blue, or black cable, or does my board support 6 gb per second transfer rates?

In addition, my harddrives are installed upside down, and that means I need a left-angle cable from what I can tell.

I can post a service tag if needed (if it's not against forum rules).

Thanks much.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 25th, 2015 17:00

rusty.07

SATA cables are not colour coded.

No, blue does not mean a 6gb per sec, transfer, only that Dell favours the colour blue as a corporate symbol.

Note:  The Inspiron 620 only has sata2 (3.0GB/s) ports.

Yes, you will need a SATA cable with a 90* connector on one end.Unfortunately Dell does not has any documentation for installing an additional hard drive in the Inspiron 620 available

Unfortunately Dell does not has any documentation for installing an additional hard drive in the Inspiron 620 available

Maybe the discussion HERE can help.

Bev.

42 Posts

April 29th, 2015 12:00

Thanks, Bev.

I purchased a new right-angle SATA cable (w/locking clips) from a mom & pop computer repair service for $2.50. I could not find a left-angle cable, locally, so this new cable is about 18" long, and that gives me enough slack to route the cable safely without putting strain on the upside down connection.

I have the drive installed (my Inspiron came with extra drive rails), and it has been mounted and given a drive letter. I plan to move all personal files to the new drive and make a clone of C drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 29th, 2015 14:00

rusty.07

Pleased to hear everything went well and I'm glad to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!