Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 19th, 2014 06:00

Creation Of a Recovery DVD States must have KEY to use.

Hello.

I just purchased an XPS 8700 and when I went to work creating that all important Recovery DVD (for when things go terribly wrong), it states to be able to use the DVD, I will need the Authorization KEY.  I looked on the case, no key.  Seen in the forums that there is no key on the case any more!!!

So, when I do need to use the DVD, will it be smart enough to look at the motherboard for the KEY or will I get a text box to enter it into and then be stuck there because I do not have the freakin' key????

Thanks, Lance

P..S.  What brain-dead individual came up with this idea???

Dell took away the ability to customize the XPS (could not have the graphics card that I wanted even though it is sold by Dell) and they no longer give you an Operating System DVD or Driver DVD with the system.  And now, no freakin' KEY.  I bought the high-end System before I found out all this and it is not making me feel good about my purchase.

Lance

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 19th, 2014 06:00

The new recovery media method from microsoft does not need a key for those systems with KEY in bios.  Download 64 bit iso and burn to 16 gig OR LARGER usb.  32 bit versions will not boot UEFI 2.3.1 systems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label. This was not DELL'S Idea it was mandated by Microsoft.

(OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

You could try Belarc Advisor.

I don't know if this shows the key or not. (Versions Higher than 8.3c do Show the Key)

Version 8.4 supports Windows 8.1

• Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 8.1, 2012 R2, 8, 2012, 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are supported.
  • Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.

However as you change versions by adding softpacks you should save the previous keys as they are removed and replaced with the PRO and MCE packs.  But windows will not clean install with an update pack so you need the original key in order to Install clean then do windows anytime upgrades back to PRO or MCE editions.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

No Events found!