Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2008 19:00

DELL XPS GEN 2 - Unable to reinstall Windows XP after reformat.

This situation is like the movie "Ground Hog Day". The system seems to be installing Windows XP but keeps recycling through the same process after each reboot.

6.4K Posts

December 20th, 2008 21:00

Perhaps there is some helpful info in the user's manual, found here:  XPS Gen 2 User's Manual.

See "Reinstalling Microsoft Windows XP" under Advanced Troubleshooting.

315 Posts

December 21st, 2008 10:00

:^/ While the OS installs, it's occassionally required to reboot the system before continuing.  If the CD is in the drive during the re-boot, the install process will start all over again.  So, your trouble could be as simple as forgetting to remove the CD during the re-boot.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2008 12:00

Thanks,  I'll try that.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2008 12:00

Thank you for your prompt response to my problem. However, removing the iinstall disk did not remedy the situation. The same advice was given to me by a Dell support person who, while working from a script, had to refer back to her supervisor on several occasions while guiding me through the same cycle I had been repeating over and over again. Finally, the word came down that my Raid 0 (striped) drives were faulty and needed replacement. This was despite my protest that the diagnostic utility gave a pass to both drives. I may be stuck with a very large paper weight! The following may shed some light. When all else failed, and I chose R for repair, I was able to get into the DOS. Only 43 files were visisble in the WINDOWS directory. Those dated on the day of installation comprised the majority of the installed files had 0 bytes. I suppose part of the disk can be faulty, but I do not have enough expertise to figure this out.

No Events found!