Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2010 13:00

Dell 9200 Problem - Light 1,3 & 4

Hi,

I tried to swap my graphics card on my Dell 9200 but it didn't work so I put in the original graphics card , now when I try to boot the computer I get light 1,3 & 4 and the computer will not boot.

I have had a look at the Dell 9200 diagnostic lights guide here but there is no explanation for lights 1,3 and 4.

Also the fans stay on very loud and continue you to do this.

I would really appreciate any help so I can get the computer working,

Thank you,
Niall

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 7th, 2010 18:00

Power off and unplug. Press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec

Carefully reseat the RAM modules and graphics card in their slots.

Then remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button again for ~30 sec.

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it will boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

Ron

2 Posts

February 8th, 2010 12:00

Thanks Ron, worked perfectly :emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 8th, 2010 15:00

:emotion-21:

1 Message

March 14th, 2010 16:00

Hi I wonder whether you can help as I have the same problem!

Not sure what caused this as it just started happening out of the blue. Power on and the fan just seems to be on a continuous cycle whereas normally it would whir for a few seconds and the system would then boot up.

Diagnostic lights 1,3 and 4 remain on.

Removed the cover and went through the Dell troubleshooting guide so unplugged the hard drive and DVD units. The main power button LED is solid yellow.

Removed each of the memory modules and replaced them in their slots. Then left one out at a time to see if any particular one was faulty.

After reading your note I checked for graphics card but there isnt one fitted and I removed the motherboard battery and held the power button and then reinstalled the battery but nothing changed.

Also as per the Dell guide I changed the CMOS and password jumper connectors. The Dell guide is incredibly confusing as the diagram indicates that pins 1 and 2 are the password ones and 3 and 4 are the RTCRST ones.The text suggests that the plug should be on pins 3 and 4 (the password pins so not as per the diagram) for some reason on this unit they were on 1 and 2. If I put the plug on pins 3 and 4 the system will not even power up!

Am still stuck with the system not powering up and a fan that is doing a marathon!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The unit is a Dell XPS420 but it seems the same as a Dimension 9200.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2010 22:00

Solid amber power button indicates that "a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed."

Are you certain your system doesn't have a video card?? According to the manual, this system has a PCI-Express gen 2 x16 video card slot. The slot is #10 in the diagram here.

You may have to strip it down to bare minimum. Remove all PCI cards, except video, disconnect power cable to all drives except hard drive, disconnect modem cable to phone line or ethernet cable to network card. Do the "battery thng" and see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

When you say you tested the RAM modules one at a time in their slot, does that mean you tested each in its original slot or did you test them, one at a time,  in slot 1, the slot closest to the CPU?

Ron

1 Message

March 19th, 2013 09:00

This fix worked perfectly for our Dell GX520!  Thank you soooo  much!  You saved us a lot of time and money! :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 19th, 2013 12:00

This fix worked perfectly for our Dell GX520!  Thank you soooo  much!  You saved us a lot of time and money! :emotion-2:

:emotion-21:

No Events found!