Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 12th, 2005 05:00

Dell Dimension 2350 compatible bios that supports boot-up from usb device

Is there such a bios out there? I have on my USB Flash drive DSL (Linux.) I want to use it for quick booting (it's only 50 megs.) However, the present bios I have on my computer (A00) does not support such a thing. (looking at the boot section of the bios only brings up removable drives, Hard drives and cd-roms. In removeable drives only the legacy floppy disk is in there: no removeable usb drive.) So, that's my situation. Is there any dell dimension compatible bios out there that will do this for me? If there isn't, I could always partition the hard drive and dual boot, but i'd prefer not to. Thanks.

9.4K Posts

April 12th, 2005 12:00

You can try upgrading the BIOS to the latest version which is A02 and see if that offers any improvement in the BIOS options, but I doubt it.  In viewing the BIOS history for your model there was nothing mentioned about adding USB boot options. The best you can do then is check the BIOS Setup to see that Legacy USB support is enabled and try plugging the flash drive into a different USB port.  On some Dell models there is one USB port that is active during boot up, usually on the rear of the system.  Otherwise the USB ports are inactive until Windows loads the necessary drivers.  Chances are this won't work, but it's worth giving it a try.  

17 Posts

April 13th, 2005 12:00

that's too bad. I wanted something that I could boot up on almost any computer very quickly and do my work on, yet i've yet to find a computer that supports usb bootups. :P

9.4K Posts

April 13th, 2005 12:00

You might want to pose a question over in the Dimension - External Peripheral forum to see what other opinions and/or suggestions you get.  Possibly someone in that forum venue may know of a way to work around the problem you are having.

9.4K Posts

April 15th, 2005 19:00

Moon_utt,  check out Mburko's reply in this forum posting by clicking here.  The solution he posted may help you.
No Events found!