Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LS

December 12th, 2007 21:00

Dell Dimension 3100c restore factory settings issue

Hi,

I'm having problems running a default 'restore to factory settings'. I came straight here for answers but all I can find is the "Ctrl-F11" answer but it just doesn't work... I've also tried hitting F12 when running my Dell Drivers & Utilities CD but all it does now is run some "Diagnostics" tests, it doesn't actually give me options for the reformation or whatever?

ANY Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Leyton Stone

I am assuming you have XP.

To reinstall XP, you need the Dell XP reinstallation disc, the Dell Drivers & Utilities CD cannot be used for this purpose.

The reinstallation disc, is usually shipped with the computer package, but if you did not receive it, then you should be able to obtain the disks required for reinstallation from here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Hey ShesAGeordie

Thanks for your reply but the thing is, I've been given this information before by Dell and was told how to do this over the phone; by using the Resources CD. And the second time around by doing the return to default settings...

The only thing is by the time I decided this needed to be done today the phoneline was closed until 8am tomorrow morning [GMT] - But I have used both of these methods before; the only problem now is that neither of them seem to be working?

My P.C came w/ XP already installed on it and have never been told that I'd need to reinstall Windows on it from the CD [And have never actually done so in the past]

I'm sorry if this post sounds pugnacious or condescending; it's not supposed to.

December 12th, 2007 22:00

Sorry again to sound argumentative and a pain but I was told how to do this, step-by-step over the telelphone by a Dell representative and did it whilst on the phone and it worked lol so now I'm confused.

But yes I did this [The Ctrl/F11 option] the second time I needed to do this. - But as I said in my original post this time around the Ctrl/F11 option is not working for me. I've tried it several times but it goes straight past and continues on, to the 'Windows XP' load screen :(

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 12th, 2007 22:00

Leyton Stone

Whoever told you, to use the Resources CD, is wrong. The Dell's XP OEM reinstallation disc is required.

For a period of the time Dell did not shipped the reinstallation CD's, as part of their, now defunct, 'Media Reduction Initiative' and this was not very handy, when the hard drive failed and the Dell PC Restore by Symantec utitity was lost.

Did you follow these procedures for using Dell PC Restore by Symantec?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 12-12-2007 06:24 PM

December 12th, 2007 23:00

Hey Ron,

Firstly besides all the disgruntlement I'm getting from this P.C to which several options to do MS Updates, System Restores and other adventures have had no avail. I was also looking to sell the P.C to a friend of mine who just wants to use it as an extra rig for gaming.

But as per your question; it happens to be a USB keyboard... Could this be causing me complications?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 12th, 2007 23:00

USB or PS/2 keyboard?

And why do you want to do PCRestore?

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 13th, 2007 02:00

Typically there's only one rear USB port that's functional before XP loads the drivers. So maybe you've got the keyboard plugged into the wrong port?

You can read this for inside info on the PC Restore partition on the hard drive, and things that can be tried if it isn't working.
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

If you've got the XP Reinstallation CD you could just boot from that, reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything, including drivers, software etc.

And be polite to shesagordie, she's one of the forum's experts and she is (was) trying to help you.

Ron

December 13th, 2007 10:00

Ron,

Thanks I'll give that a buzz but apparently I've been informed I've more than likely already lost the partition which is there to help me w/ the Ctrl/F11 function. I've re-ordered a reinstall package from Dell.

On a sidenote I was being very polite to SAG; I apologised prefusely if my posts sounded rude and argumentative the computer was just annoying me and I wasn't evidently explaining it clear enough lol :)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 13th, 2007 16:00

Good luck with the reinstall.

And thanks for clarifying. PCs can be so frustrating at times that we want to smash them. I've come close myself. DCF members are volunteers, not Dell employees, who try to help other Dell users, and "honey" attracts... ;)

Ron
No Events found!