Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 25th, 2008 01:00

Dell Dimension E521 AMD Design Flaw??? Help!!

Hello, I hope someone has the answer to my problem because it's just insane.

Fixing a dell E521 (amd) for a friend, I was going to install windows xp fresh, but no keyboard would work when computer ask to press F2 to go to bios, at first I thought it was because I was using wireless kb, but then I used a Dell regular usb kb and computer still didn't go to bios as the usb doesn't get the power fast enough.  so i decided to remove the battery to clear cmos and hope the default boot up was cdrom first.

now I have a bigger problem, pc is searching for the card reader boot or usb devices I guess, I get these errors now:

diskette seek 0 failure

keyboard failure

Invalid bios configuration, go to setup

press F1 or F2 to continue

so that's it? the computer can't be used because I can't enter the bios?  it doesn't have ps2 ports. I don't have any usb hub connected or anything weird. Computer was working fine but has a lot of viruses, so fresh xp was needed.  It no longer has warranty. How can they make a pc with such a flaw?  assuming that there aren't any working around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2K Posts

July 1st, 2008 22:00

Very sorry mate, I'm out of ideas. If MB won't respond to USB kybd, no PS2 port exists, it can't possibly be image/software, there is nothing left but replace motherboard or replace system.

I'd lean towards the latter rather than spending more money patching this one back together. And towards replacing it with something other than Dell, as this kind of unresolvable problem has become more and more common among their recent products.  They have offshored all their engineering to foreigners who make 1/10th as much per hour as genuine engineers, and seem to know 1/10th as much about what they're doing.

To illustrate that statistic, a 1998 Dell--US engineered--might be expected to last 8 years, about 100 months. Mine has lasted 10 years. A 2008 Dell is lucky to make it past warranty, or about 10 months. Yeah, the price dropped by a factor of 4, from $2000 to $500. But the life expectancy dropped by more than twice that. Cheers, and welcome to outsourced engineering. There's a reason WE invented this stuff, and not the Chinese.

Message Edited by x_lab rat on 07-01-2008 06:56 PM

July 2nd, 2008 01:00

Yeah solution will be "Stay away from dell computers" HP is the best option right now. Thanks for the help I really appreciate. I will continue checking here in case someone from dell have a solution before I trash the whole pc out.

2K Posts

July 2nd, 2008 15:00

My customer experience with Dell been exemplary, so I'm not out to bash Dell.  And of course, any manufactured device can develop problems.  I'd rather assist in solving them than have to throw up my hands and say replace it with something else. 

But I'm also a pragmatist, and I'm not going to say "buy another Dell" to someone who has reached a dead-end trying to get the one they have to work.

July 2nd, 2008 17:00

Yeah I was just making a comment. 

I think the problem is that by dell bios setup they put to overlook the kb at boot up since kb never worked at boot in the first place,  but when bios goes to default it looks for it, that can only be fix by going into the bios and disable again.  I wonder why they put it to bypass in first place.

2K Posts

July 2nd, 2008 19:00

As you may have surmised, this problem should not be happening.  But there's no denying that it is.

A new MB would probably fix it.  However, since it makes no sense, spending money on parts is a gamble I'd be hesitant to make, so I'm not recommending it to you.

I'm sorry, and I'm sure Dell is, that you got no more useful service out of this system than you did.  I'd be very reluctant to pursue a system that developed voodoo problems shortly out of warranty, and I'd be disinclined to buy another one from the same source. 

July 6th, 2008 14:00

Yeah I am still trying!    I was wondering if a pci express usb card can work.

http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/Controller%20Cards--PCI%20Express/6851/Syba%20PCI-Express%20USB%202.0%20Controller%20Card%205x%20ports%20NEC%20Chip

something like that,  I just though asking here first in case someone tried it already.

I already tried a pci usb and it seems doesn't get the power or power enough. I was thinking may the pci express slot get power at boot and then give power to the usbs on time?

2K Posts

July 6th, 2008 16:00

I have no exposure to PCI USB cards, or AMD chipsets, so I couldn't predict the outcome.  Didn't you already try a powered USB hub with no change?  I would have thought if USB power was the issue, that would have solved it.  It has solved other USB startup issues related to power.

July 6th, 2008 18:00

Yeah but the usb hub needs to be connected via usb from pc too. so it's the same problem. I will try to find out a bit more informantion about if pci express response faster than regular pci slot or something.

2K Posts

July 7th, 2008 14:00

OK, so you're saying the powered hub does not supply power to devices until it receives power from system.  I've never used one, my system is simple, and the lab worked only on native systems, not the plethora of things that could be connected to them.  Scratch that then.

PCI power comes up when MB power comes up.  Whether the chipset will look there for a keyboard is another question.  I can't predict.  

1 Message

January 22nd, 2009 20:00

Hi -

I was wondering if anyone found a fix to this problem.  I have the same issue with a C521.  Thanks for any help.

1 Message

January 24th, 2009 12:00

Hello,

Me too, Im having the same exact problem.. I need a fresh reinstall of windows xp because of too much virus it almost doesn't move..

I can't get inside the bios setup to make cd-rom boot first. I thought its because of my hardisk so I "forced" to reformat it on anothe computer..

It didn't fix the prolem, I still can't enter bios BIOS because of keyboard not working during bootup... and I don't have an OS!! I don't know what to do with m computer anymore!

January 25th, 2009 08:00

Hope this helps....

I had the same issue, and found one of the USB ports had broken, and crossed connectors.... took the copper connectors out, to where they couldn't touch, and booted up.... EVERYTHING worked after that... thank god.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2009 09:00

I've run into the same problem with a computer at my daughters business. It's loaded with virus's and I need to get into the bios and safe mode but cannot. I was going to mess with the CMOS, but I see were that made things worse for another e521 owner. Now I'm wondering if installing a PS2 PCI card might work with a ps2 keyboard. Anybody try this yet?  PCI CARD:  http://www.jtecdirect.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ps2+card&osCsid=156b763805223b3c5a2f3a5db22be3a8&x=7&y=6

Cheers, Bill

February 5th, 2009 11:00

Yes, I attemped to use one of those cards.  Didn't work, I found that the front USB port had broken and the gold connectors were touching.  Once I removed that problem everything began working.  But you might have another issue, that was the problem I expierienced.  I even replaced the motherboard, and it came back to the front usb port.

246 Posts

February 15th, 2009 00:00

To whom it may concern:

The E521 bios that I am currently working on has bee infected by a virus. Same M.O. as discibed. The standard dell keyboard works with this virus but the system does not provide enouph voltage to run the multimedia keybord. The dell system tag has been removed from the bios registry. Many of you cannot access this because you are using a keybourd that requires more power than the basic one, I was fortunate to have one and tried it. I did try to reflash the bios to erase the virus but I get a window's error program stopped and it will not go any further. This is a pheonix bios machine but I cannot seem to find a flash that wil work before windows to try that. This is the first motherboard that I have seen in ages that has been efffected by a virus in the bios level. I reformatted the HD but I cannot plug the multimedia keyboard in with function. I am going to search to see if pheonix has a cure because Dell has hidden a cure if there is one if they ever cared it is an issue.

No Events found!