Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2012 14:00

Dell Inspiron 530s freezing at Dell Inspiron logo

We plugged an SD card from a camera into our Lexmark 5650 printer to read it through the printer. The software hung up. I restarted the PC and it froze at the Dell Inspiron logo screen, taking 15 mins to get to the Windows screen. F2 and F12 were useless. We thought the hard drive was corrupted and on its way to the grave.

I unplugged the printer from the USB port and unplugged the printer power to let it reset. I booted the PC without the printer, it was fine. I then plugged the power back into the printer, reset it to print mode, plugged the USB back into the PC, and restarted with the printer back online and in service. Success! All is normal.

If you used a USB device to do something "different" or complex (like trying to read an SD card through a printer), try doing what I did above with that device. If you have success like I did, congrats. If not, leave the previous USB device unplugged and move on to the next one till you isolate the culprit. It's well worth it to do this because in most cases a new USB device like a printer is a lot cheaper than a new PC.

July 7th, 2012 15:00

Hi scottis8688,

Welcome to the community.

Well, it appears the system is booting from the USB printer when it’s connected to the tower. In this case you can try changing the boot order from the BIOS by using the following steps and that may fix the issue-

Restart the system; start tapping the F2 key as soon as you see the Dell Logo. Go to the Boot option in the BIOS and set Hard Drive as the first boot priority. You can do the same by pressing enter and selecting hard drive at “Hard Disk Boot Priority” with the use of up and down arrow keys. Once done Change the hard drive priority using the + or – keys. Once done press the F10 key and then exit this menu by pressing . After that press F10 again to save the settings and restart the system.

Let me know of the findings. Hope this takes care of the issue. Glad to be of assistance.

DELL-Chiranjeev S

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

No Events found!