Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2012 12:00

Dell Inspiron 531 Not Booting - Single beep when starting computer

We had a power outage the other day which fried our wireless router. At which time I unplugged the internet cable from the back of our desktop (Dell Inspiron 531). After replacing the router I plugged the internet back into the desktop however the light for unit 1 on the router did not show up and when the computer was turned on I did not have internet. I tried restarting and going into the Device Manager (the Network Connection was showing up as a hidden item). So at this point I thought maybe by removing the internet cable I had loosened the ethernet plug or something and it had been a while since the fans had been cleaned anyway so I shut everything down and opened the computer. Every seemed fine and I closed it up and went to re-start and since then all that will happen is the fan running, the blue light, and a single beep. Nothing shows up on the screen at all. I have tried checking the RAM and it is tightly installed. I don't know what else to try. I at least need to get the info off of this computer. Please Help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 13:00

beh160

One 'Beep' can indicate a motherboard failure.

Is the power button blue LED, blinking, or solid?

Bev.

June 3rd, 2012 17:00

Hi beh160,

Welcome to the Community

One beep indicates that the System Board has failed.

The other thing you can check is the light on the power button:

Blue — Blinking blue in sleep state; solid blue for power-on state

Amber — Blinking amber indicates a problem with the system board. A solid amber light when the system does not boot indicates the system board cannot start initialization. This could be a system board or a power supply problem.

Glad to help

Aashish Sengar

Social outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

729 Posts

June 4th, 2012 06:00

If you need to replace the motherboard you can get one here.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2014 14:00

no beeps blue light is solid some times the amber light will come on as solid

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 15:00

no beeps blue light is solid some times the amber light will come on as solid

ethanla106

Do you have an Inspiron 531 Mini Tower, same as the OP?

Bev.
No Events found!