Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2011 03:00

Dell Optiplex GX280 video driver problem

Hey guys,

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX280 that I've just formatted and reinstalled Windows XP but I'm having some trouble installing the drivers for the video. I have downloaded the available Intel 915G chipset drivers from both the Intel & Dell websites however they both give me errors (generally saying that my system does not meet the minimum requirements). I then attempted upgrading the SP3 from SP2 and also installed .NET framwork 4 but still no luck.

I don't think im installing the incorrect drivers as I did an automatic detection on both the Dell and Intel websites so does anyone have any ideas/advice on what I should try next?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

:emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 24th, 2011 13:00

After you install the chipset drivers, the order of the rest is not important. Are you sure you've got on-board graphics? You should be able to tell from the back of the computer whether the video cable is plugged into the motherboard or an add-on card.

3 Posts

April 24th, 2011 05:00

Thanks for the reply!

When I entered my service tag number on the Dell website it downloaded the Audio, Network, BIOS upgrade and something called 'Chipset software installation utility' which all seem to install and function correctly. I then had to manually go to the GX280 Video driver download section and download the supplied 915G driver and thats when my problems started - none of the video drivers I've tried since have worked. 

Is the install order of the drivers critical? I'm confident I know how to uninstall the Audio and Network drivers however the BIOS flash and 'Chipset software installation utility might be irreversible?

Also, unfortunately this Dell system is quiet old and I've lost the discs so that isn't an option at the moment...

Thanks again for the reply.

Moe

P.S. My GX280 is a small form P4 3.2 Ghz. I imagine this would help if you're suggesting any specific drivers for me to try. 

Thanks 

:emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 24th, 2011 05:00

Hi Moe-H,

Something must not have gone right. Did you install the chipset drivers first? One suggestion would be to install your drivers from the Dell drivers and utilities disc.

3 Posts

April 25th, 2011 00:00

It turns out I've got a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS installed! I completely overlooked the obvious and as soon as I checked I noticed it wasn't onboard video... I downloaded the appropriate drivers from the GeForce website and they worked like a charm. 

Thanks a heap OSPREY4, greatly appreciate it!

Moe

September 29th, 2012 08:00

hi ell

think

dell need you

No Events found!