Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 30th, 2009 10:00

Dell Studio XPS 9000 eSata drive not recognized - solved! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Kudos to Karl at Dell Home Support for guiding me to the ultimate solution for the nettlesome problem I was having where my beautiful XPS 9000 would NOT see the external sata drive.  Tried different cables different drives no joy.  Thought the motherboard was bad but not really because the drive DID report in the BIOS.  troubles aplenty trying to boot up into Windows 7.  Could not get the device recognized in Windows Explorer, even caused Win 7 to fail to boot up (LOCK UP) if the eSata drive was plugged in and powered up

KEYS:

My system was shipped with Vista - so I wiped the drive and did a 100% FRESH CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7.  Then I imported my files and settings using the File Transfer Wizard in both Vista and Win 7.  Because of the clean install, Win 7 CD does NOT install the much-needed eSata drivers which you should get directly from Dell site, because they are engineered to work with the Dell-customized motherboard!  Duh.  Seems obvious.  Well, dumb me, I grabbed both of these off the web and they DID NOT WORK.  Also, reinstalling the BIOS may have played a role.  The idea I want to get across is the DELL drivers off the DELL support site worked perfectly whereas the WEB drivers did not.

Once Win 7 is installed and running make sure the eSata drive is OFF

Go to DELL Support and enter your Service Tag Number

BE SURE the eSata drive is unplugged from your system until you complete ALL of the steps below

Download and install

• Intel Software Utility

Under the SATA tab download and INSTALL

1. JMicron Driver  REBOOT
  2. Intel Matrix Storage Manager  REBOOT
  3. Reinstall BIOS (I did this because my Tech asked me to, already had A13 installed  REBOOT
  4. NOW, and ONLY NOW, turn on your eSata drive (make sure it's plugged in securely first)
  5. JOY the drive is recognized by Win 7 and reports in the Windows Explorer with a new drive letter.

I blew HOURS on this.  Karl at Dell solved it quite nicely and I thank him.  This problem went all the way to L3 support.

1 Message

November 4th, 2009 23:00

I have now spent 12 hours working on this issue, many hours on the phone and chatting with tech support. They had me install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, change the BIOS from AHMI to RAID, and reinstall Windows 7. It didn't work. I have scoured the net for solutions. It seems that Dell units shipped without functioning eSATA ports has been a problem for at least a year and a half, as far as I can tell.

I tried all your above stops and still no luck. I am getting fed up. .

FYI, my system (XPS 9000) was shipped with Vista, and like you,  I did a fresh clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, everything updated.

I would appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks!

JPB

1 Message

November 10th, 2009 00:00

Hi RSM2000E,

Having the same problem on my XPS 13 running Windows 7 - 64bit.  Dell tech support seems unable to help me over the phone.  Wanted to try this solution as it wasn't something they tried with me. But when I signed in to Dell Support, entered my service tag number and such, I didn't see exactly where a file or link named "Intel Software Utility" was located.  I did see a number of other downloadable drives under "+" dropdown menus labeled "Applications," "Audio," "Bios," etc..  But there is neither anything that I can see entitled "Intel Software Utility" as one of the labeled "+" dropdown menus, nor a file selection labeled as such within any of these menus.  Nor is there anything labeled with "SATA" from which to download anything entitled "JMicron" or "Intel Matrix Storage Manager."  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, or I'm misunderstanding something?  Any clarification or direct link would be greatly appreciated.  My drive is just staring back at me wondering when it's going to start being worth the 2 hundos I dropped on it.  Thanks in advance!

36 Posts

December 8th, 2009 00:00

I have the XPS420 and am using the Windows 7 RC, the Intel driver that you mentioned when attempting to install it goes through the steps and stops and says my operating system is not supported.  The Dell update directed me to both Intel driver and utility.

My ESata HDD is not recognized by the disk management service either.

The BIOS has the RAID setting as the opposite of the recommended setting.  When I placed the RAID to the recommended setting the computer just kept booting and went into a loop.  After regaining control again I placed the RAID back to the original setting, the windows start program indicated some error and prompted me to goto a previous restore spot.  Lucky for me it worked. 

I would like to use the ESata hard drive but how does it get accepted by the computer??  Is there another program or utility that may work. The external HDD is a 1TB but it is not formatted, does it have to be formatted first?

The BIOS has also been updated to the latest, which is A07.

THANX

26 Posts

January 20th, 2010 08:00

The BIOS has also been updated to the latest, which is A07.

When you wrote the above, the latest was A13.  As of Jan 20, 2010, the latest is A14.

Tom L

83 Posts

January 20th, 2010 19:00

AfterIi put Win7 on my XPS 9000, I just installed the JMicron driver from the Dell driver site and my eSATA worked fine.

1 Message

August 24th, 2010 09:00

Same problem here, A Dell XPS 9000/435t (circa November 2009) with Windows 7 Ultimate that would not recognize an WD15EARS drive in an ineo I-NA314Ue-H external enclosure. Installing the JMicron driver (version 1.17.43.5) from the Dell driver page (listed under "SATA Drives" section) got the drive recognized the first time I installed it, however, it is not consistently recognized, regardless of whether the drive is on when the machine boots or is turned on later.  I am using BIOS A16 and Intel Matrix Storage Manager 9.6.0.1014 (Dell driver page lists this as version 9.6 A01).  Sometimes, if it is not recognized initially, then giving it 10-15 minutes gets it recognized, but not always.  The drive works just fine via its USB2.0 connection.

Dell Support said it was problem with the hard drive's driver, however, that is also at the most recent version.  Any suggestions?

2 Posts

October 10th, 2010 20:00

.. and the same here including the system.

I've already installed the latest drivers including the JMicron, latest Bios A16, and Intel Matrix Storage Manager, but still no luck seeing the external drive when Windows 7 Professional boots. I can see the drive listed when I check to make sure it is enabled in the bios (F2 at start up). It is listed last in the list of drives with the internal SATA as Number 3 and the eSATA as the final drive on the list. Still it does not show when I browse 'Computer' or is not found when I try to add a device. I can see it under 'Computer Management,' > 'Disk Drives" as ST31000528AS, and > 'Disk Management' as "Disk 1, Unknown, 931.51 GB, Not Initialized, and the space as unallocated." Tried to update the driver and system indicates that the hard drive is using the most recent driver. Disk Management will not allow me to configure the drive - as any Raid type. It also does not matter if I turn the eSATA on before or after I boot.

If there is no solution to this using the eSATA cable, I guess I will use the USB, but this is not right and Dell should have a solution to this problem. Seems common enough and has been around for over a year, certainly before I purchased my Dell Studio XPS 9000 in January 2010.

2 Posts

October 11th, 2010 14:00

Got it to work and it seems it was my error in that I did not take the last step needed do be done. When I accessed Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and clicked on Disk 1, Unknown, I failed to initialze the drive and go through the formatting. I realized this  today when I connected the external drive using the USB cable and the drive still only showed in Bios set-up and Disk Management, but not in Windows Explorer as a drive.

I turned off the drive, disconnected the USB cable, reconnected the external drive with the eSATA cable, went back into Disk Management:

Update all of the drivers from the Dell web site (if your system is a dell system), in my case for the Desktop Studio XPS 9000, hook up using the eSATA cable (I restarted my computer with the external drive powered on) and go to Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

1. In Disk Management, right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
  2. In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. You can select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style. Notes: GUID partition tables may not be recognized by systems older than Windows 7. The disk should now be initialized as a basic disc and you can assign a logical partition and format (I used NTFS).

Hope it is this simple for others with the same difficulty.

17 Posts

June 20th, 2012 17:00

For me and some others It turned out it's a design flaw with the female end on the laptop, and not all cables worked.  Try a Cables To Go Esata cable.

No Events found!