Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2013 18:00

Dell T5400 Vista 64-bit upgrade?

Well, I got a Vista 64-bit disk, and set out to upgrade the system. The reinstall stalls on "computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk." The discussion I find online suggests that a second disk drive might be interfering with the reinstall, but there is only one disk drive. My local expert suggests that this motherboard might not support a 64-bit OS. That doesn't sound right for this fairly high-end system, but I suppose it is possible. Is that the case? Any ideas how I can proceed?

2K Posts

August 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi Randolph,

In the above picture move down to “SATA operation” tab now select AHCI to ATA mode.

If this doesn’t work let me know the type of hard drive (with model number) then I can check for the right driver.

2K Posts

August 26th, 2013 20:00

Hi rfritz33,

Dell has tested T5400 systems with 64-bit OS so it should work. However, since you are unable to reinstall it you may try following the below steps which might help:

(1)   Turn on the computer.

(2)   Keep tapping F2 key at the Dell logo.

(3)   BIOS screen appears and move to the drives tab.

(4)   Change AHCI to ATA mode.

Now try reinstalling operating system and check if the same issue happens.

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

19 Posts

August 27th, 2013 17:00

Kiran, thank you.

Unfortunately, this version of the BIOS (A04) does not seem to provide an option which allows that. There have been multiple BIOS updates since that one. Would it be a good idea to update the BIOS?

[Added] I went ahead and updated the BIOS to A11. Unfortunately, no new option that allows for mode-changing appeared, and the install still has the same problem.

Randolph

2K Posts

August 28th, 2013 02:00

Hi Randolph,

Request you to use the below link and download SATA drivers depending on the hard drive that you have, on to a USB flash drive using a different computer:

http://dell.to/19Yv4Ik

Check under SATA tab

Once this is done you may follow the normal procedure of operating system installation. Then you will come to the below screen:

Click on “Load drivers” option and save the path to flash drive and continue. Check if it helps.

If not then do send me a picture of the BIOS I will check and see what needs to be done.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 28th, 2013 06:00

The error you describe is coming from BAD COPY of DVDRW Disc not an actual DELL Restore Media.

Burning anything other than DVD-R media at 1X or 2X or 4X or 8X whatever is the SLOWEST POSSIBLE SPEED is asking for trouble.

Non Dell Media is not supported.

19 Posts

August 29th, 2013 16:00

I can't seem to find a SATA driver for the drive--an ST3250823AS—on the support site for the computer. Am I looking in the right place?

Meantime, here's a pic of the BIOS screen.

19 Posts

September 5th, 2013 00:00

Yes, that did it.

Thank you.

2K Posts

September 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi Randolph,

It is good to know that the issue is now fixed. If you have any other questions/ issues in future you can either send me a message or start a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

No Events found!