Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2010 15:00

Dell XPS 400 Blinking Amber power light and #4 diagnostic LED

So I'm posting because I couldn't find anything about my particular predicament: I have a 5 year old Dell XPS400 and it recently "died" on me.  I was on it and it shut down, then went to reboot but came up with the blinking Amber power light and the diagnostic light #4 was on.  Now I looked at the advanced troubleshooting guide for the XPS 400 but they it says nothing about only the #4 light being on.  All my fans are going, and HDD is running; its just not booting up.

Now at first I thought it might be the video card because a few weeks ago, the blinking amber light happened to me and I opened up the tower and realized the video card was a little loose.  I pushed it back into place and the pc started right up.  I wasn't so lucky this time though.  So before I go out and buy a new video card, thinking the video card itself is dead, I wanted to post and see if anyone else had any ideas?

So one last time:

I'm running a Dell XPS 400

Won't boot

Blinking amber power light  

ONLY the #4 diagnostic LED is on

What do you guys think it could be? Part of me thinks/hopes it just the video card, but the code for a video card problem is #2 and #4, not just #4. 

Thanks for the help!

14.4K Posts

December 11th, 2010 15:00

I would pull the video card and see what the diagnostic code is. While you are at it you might want to also remove and re-seat your ram sticks and any other cards you might have in the system.

Generally an undocumented diagnostic code indicates a failed motherboard. Since you also mention that your fans and drives run that for the most part will rule out a bad power supply.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2010 09:00

It was the power supply.  I replaced it yesterday and I'm all good now.  Thanks. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2010 09:00

service manual for the system - Documentation

• If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem (Bad Power Supply) might exist.

• Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
  • If the power light is steady amber, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

• Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.
    • Remove and then reinstall any cards. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

• Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable.
    • Ensure that all power cables are securely connected to the system board.

Diagnostic Lights

CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.

To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four lights labeled "1," "2," "3," and "4" on the front panel (see "Front View of the Computer"). When the computer starts normally, the lights flash. After the computer starts, all four lights display solid green. If the computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the problem.

Light Pattern 

Problem Description

Suggested Resolution

The computer is in a normal "off" condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

The diagnostic lights are not lit after the system successfully boots to the operating system.

Plug the computer into a working electrical outlet. Also see "Power Lights." 

A possible processor failure has occurred.

Reinstall the processor 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

and restart the computer.

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module (see "Memory"), and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer (see "Memory").
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell.

A possible graphics card failure has occurred.

• If the computer has a graphics card, remove the card (see "Cards"), reinstall it, and then restart the computer.
  • If the problem still exists, install a graphics card that you know works and restart the computer.

A possible floppy drive or hard drive failure has occurred.

Reseat all power and data cables and restart the computer.

A possible USB failure has occurred.

Reinstall all USB devices, check cable connections, and then restart the computer.

No memory modules are detected.

• If you have two or more memory modules installed, remove the modules, reinstall one module (see "Memory"), and then restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.
  • If available, install properly working memory of the same type into your computer (see "Memory").

Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error exists.

• Ensure that no special memory module/memory connector placement requirements exist (see "Memory").
  • Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer (see "Memory").

A possible expansion card failure has occurred.

1. Determine if a conflict exists by removing a card (not a graphics card) and restarting the computer (see "Cards").
  2. If the problem persists, reinstall the card that you removed, remove a different card, and then restart the computer.
  3. Repeat this process for each card. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed from the computer for resource conflicts (see "Cards").
  4. If the problem persists, contact Dell.

Another failure has occurred.

• Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive (see "System Board Components").
  • If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.
  • The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.

The computer is in a normal operating condition after POST.

None.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2014 12:00

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have the same problem... a Dell XPS 400 with blinking amber power light and #4 diagnostic light on.

Where and what power supply did you get?  

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 5th, 2014 17:00

Check here and here and other vendors that sell OEM parts for Dell PCs. And there's  always eBay or Dell's own Spare Parts store @ 1-800-822-6039

2 Posts

January 6th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the options, that was a great help.  I also chatted with Dell Sales and they have a refurbished 375W Power Supply for $94.99 .  Part number WM283.  

I'm going check MicroCenter tomorrow and see if they have any other cheaper alternatives that I can buy locally, just in case it's not the power supply (so I can easily return it if needed).

No Events found!