Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2011 05:00

Dell XPS 410 Solid amber light for power light.... HELP!

Ok,

I was using my computer earlier today and it was working fine. I left for a bit to go to work and when I got home I see that it was setting on the dell start up screen at about 25% and not moving. So I waited about 10min and nothing happend so I shut down the computer using the power button on the front. After this it booted up fine and I played world of warcraft for about 25 min. Then the computer shut down out of nowhere, and tried to reboot, it would power up and shut back off. Done this about 5 times and the last time it came back up to the dell start up page it stopped at 25% so I waited to see if it was going to load and like the last time another 10min. So I turned it off yet again and when trying to turn it back on I got a blinking power light the color of amber. So I looked through some forms and they stated that is was the power supply. Well as I sat and thought I changed the power cord to the computer and it came on but only to a solid amber light and the fans run and the fan is running on the vid card. Also it has lan activity like it is connected to the internet. Just I have no display. After taking the cards out and what not, nothing has changed. Can anyone help here???

Thanks

14.4K Posts

November 8th, 2011 17:00

Mother board. Since you replaced the power supply that is to be considered good. When all cards and ram are out of as system and you disconnect the power to all the drives the only thing left is the power supply, motherboard, CPU. Again PS is new so rule that out. CPU's very rarely fail so that would leave the motherboard. Also since you have no external diagnostic lights that further supports a failed motherboard.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 20th, 2011 08:00

Review the Diagnostic Lights when powering the system on to diagnose the failure.

7 Posts

October 25th, 2011 08:00

No lights come on.. on the front or the back.. just the amber power light.. after letting it set for a day it did power back on... and did the same thing that i stated in the first post.. i am thinking it is the power supply.. from what a friend is telling me...

7 Posts

November 8th, 2011 14:00

Ok after replacing the power supply i am still having the same problem.. sold amber light... and fan's are running hard drive is running DVD drive is lighting up.. but it is not booting up... i have a amber light on the mother board as well. STBY above it... Anything suggestions?

7 Posts

November 14th, 2011 02:00

Yeah after speaking with someone from dell they did verfie that same problem... Thanks to everyone here for the help... looks like i will be shopping for a new computer it was getting time to anyhow.. don't see sticking anymore money into this one...

No Events found!