Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 21st, 2007 19:00

Dell XPS 600 - cannot reformat, or even boot from disc

Hello. i own a Dell XPS 600.
i loved it up until it started to malfunction. first, both the DVD-RW and the CD-RW would only be detected about every other boot up. I tried to reformat, but ended up just reinstalling windows.
However, this did nothing except mess things up further. i could see all of my old files on my computer, but could only boot into the new windows. this was annoying, and I called dell.
I eventually had to have a technition come to my house and replace my motherboard. i was excited that this fixed the DVD-RW and CD-RW error, however the reinstalling of windows left me with around 40gigs of unwanted data. I can see all of my old documents and such, but cannot do anything about them.
I then tried to reformat. that was terrible. I cannot delete the C:/ partition, and the partition that has that useful dell thing that reformats back to factory defaults is all messed up.
I believe my only option at this point is to completely reformat. everything has become very awkward, and I am running out of space.
however! and here is the real problem:
my XPS 600 will NOT boot from a cd, or dvd-rom.
i tried the Windows media media center 2005 dvd-rom (reinstalation cd)
i then tried a windows 98 cd (only copy of windows that I had on CD)
and then tried to boot up ubuntu, failure. then knoppix: failure.
it is like the XPS doesnt recognize the cd or dvds for bootup.
i tried searching online, and found someone with the same problem, but that was resolved, and what he did I tried and it failed.
anyway, my questions are: has anyone else not been able to boot from cd or dvd? is there a way to fix this? Message Edited by shammamishue on 12-21-2007 03:24 PM

Message Edited by shammamishue on 12-21-2007 03:27 PM

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2007 15:00

shammamishue,

Go into the bios, reset it to Factory Defaults, then, make sure all your devices are being seen in the bios.

December 22nd, 2007 18:00

thanks for the advise. I did it, but nothing new happened. i can see everything fine in the bios

Message Edited by shammamishue on 12-22-2007 02:40 PM

1 Message

December 31st, 2007 19:00

We are having the exact same problem - our Dell XPS 600 will not boot up from the Reinstallation DVD. We really need it to since the original hard drive is dead and we need to get the new one up and running. We have been over the BIOS a hundred times - it sees the new hard drive but it never shows the DVD drive as a bootable drive, just the CD/ROM drive. That makes zero sense since we only have a DVD to reinstall from.

14.4K Posts

December 31st, 2007 22:00

does the dvd drive show up in the bios

what happens if you disconnect the cd rom and only have the dvd drive plug in..

January 1st, 2008 19:00

i tried booting from cd too, my next step is to disconnect the cd rom entirely like davet50 suggested
hope it works

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2008 17:00

I tried to reinstall SP Media 2005 from the supplied Dell DVD.  The CD drive won't read a DVD and the DVD drive was set up by Dell so that it couldn't be booted from.  A local computer shop changed the jumpers on the two drives so that the DVD would be read first.  Problem solved.  The question remains - why would Dell set up my machine so it can't boot from a DVD when the reinstall OS is on a DVD?

14.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2008 20:00

@rufus128 wrote:

The question remains - why would Dell set up my machine so it can't boot from a DVD when the reinstall OS is on a DVD?

To drive us users nuts trying to figure it out...LOL   :smileyvery-happy:
No Events found!