Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2012 01:00

Dell XPS 8300 Desktop- Frequently having Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

I'm frequently experiencing the Blue Screen of Death for some time.

I've tried re-formatting my computer, virus scan, c-cleaner scan, malware scan and even fragmented and I still get the blue screen.

It occurs randomly, after my computer hits the blue screen it resets and shows the Dell Logo with progress bar, bar fills all the way up then nothing happens.

This keeps occuring not sure what else to do.

Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 28th, 2012 01:00

Hi amodino,

We will have to check if the computer hardware is working properly by running diagnostic tests. Please follow the steps to run diagnostics:

1. Restart the computer and start tapping F12 key at the Dell logo to enter Advanced Boot Menu.
2. Use the arrow keys to select “Diagnostics” and press Enter.
3. The diagnostic tests will begin.
4. If the test displays and error message, please write it down.

Reply to this message with your findings.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 28th, 2012 09:00

amodino,

How many memory sticks are installed on the motherboard? If you have four, remove the two from the black slots. Test the system with just two memory sticks in the white slots. Then, remove those memory sticks and replace them with the two you earlier took out. Test the system. We are trying to isolate if the memory is faulty so you might have to mix and match.

7 Posts

October 5th, 2012 22:00

Sorry for the delay in response. I ran the test and it passed everything with no errors.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2012 18:00

Hi, ran the test again and these were my results:

Required Samples in range 1

Max Sampkles 90

Target fan RPM 800

Detected fan RPM 865

Tolerance in percent 32

Required samples in range 1

Max samples 90

Target fan RPM 2350

Detected fan RPM 1725

Tolerance in percent 20

Test Results Pass

**Processor - Multi-processor Cache TEst**

Running DIrty Cache Reads TEst

Running Alternating CPU Writes TEst

Running Random Access Thrash Test

Test Results: Pass

**Memory - Data Bus Stress Test**

**Memory = WCMch Test**

**Memory - WCMATS Test**

**Hard Drive 0 - DST Short Test**

7 Posts

October 7th, 2012 18:00

There are four sticks installed. I did as you suggested- took out the sticks in the black- ran the test. Then replaced the ones in the white with the sticks that were just removed and ran the test.

They both passed the test and just recently got another BSOD. I'm checking out my device manager and found this- wanted you to look at the image and see if this is normal:

http://andrewmodino.com/DeviceManager-ScreenCap.JPG

5 Posts

October 25th, 2012 00:00

I have had this a couple of times, the most recent was yesterday and it only started recently after a Windows Update maybe only a few weeks ago.  I am not sure how to go about digging about in the computer, though to take out memory sticks and the like... any help will be gratefully received

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                      

No Events found!