Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2012 10:00

Dell XPS 8300 MOBO and PSU Upgrade

As I have heard the XPS 8300 have some issues with the GTX 600 series as a life fan of NVIDIA GPUs I wanted to upgrade to one of those but as i cant with the current motherboard i decided to make some changes to my rig currently I dont want to change the XPS case so I was wondering if this would fit in it.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_V_GENE/#specifications

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx750-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-750-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

If Dell cases are standar size they should fit but im not sure about that, any help would be appreciated ty.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2012 11:00

Hi Hidrolic,

The XPS 8300 accommodates standard ATX mobos and PSUs.

I'm wondering if you have checked more recent posts. There was supposed to be a firmware update that would fix the issues with the GTX 680.

10 Posts

December 18th, 2012 12:00

No I havent seen those post maybe I'll look around to find those, but i might still be looking for the upgrade as they are some nice piece of equip

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 19th, 2012 14:00

If you replace the mother board for reasons other than repair, your Windows OEM license will not be valid.

December 19th, 2012 15:00

i know for a matter of fact that the 650 ti works perfectly in my xps8300 without any psu upgrades.

10 Posts

May 7th, 2014 11:00

I"m going to replace my mobo with a

Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 ATX Intel  (link below)

Will that work?  My xps keeps crashing so it is for repair purposes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128677

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 7th, 2014 12:00

jb99a

Budget for a new copy of windows, as Dell's OEM copies will not work with a non-Dell motherboard, they are tied to Dell's BIOS.

To use the GIGABYTE GA-Z87-DS3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard a different PSU is needed, the GA-Z87-DS3H requires an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector, the Dell default 460w power supply has a P2 4-pin ATX power connector.

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 7th, 2014 15:00

I"m going to replace my mobo with a

Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 ATX Intel  (link below)

Will that work?  My xps keeps crashing so it is for repair purposes

You can replace the motherboard for reasons of repair with a similar motherboard, and reuse the existing Dell license. However, upgrading to a different CPU socket is outside those limits, so you should buy a new copy of Windows.

The new board will not fit, because it is ATX and the case is mATX.

10 Posts

May 8th, 2014 06:00

"upgrading to a different cpu socket"  - is that another way of saying upgrading the mobo?  Not sure what you mean.  Please explain.  Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 8th, 2014 21:00

The XPS 8300 accommodates standard ATX mobos and PSUs.

Umm, the XPS 8300 is mATX, not ATX. :emotion-5:

"upgrading to a different cpu socket"  - is that another way of saying upgrading the mobo?  Not sure what you mean.  Please explain.  Thanks.

It means that you can replace the motherboard for reasons of repair with a similar unit. You can't replace the motherboard with one of completely different architecture, and still remain within the terms of the OEM license; in Microsoft's eyes, that is building a new computer, which requires a new Windows license.

And, if you're wondering, I installed a mATX board in an XPS 7100 chassis, which is identical to that of your XPS 8300, apart from coloring.

10 Posts

May 9th, 2014 06:00

getting full size mobo was a no-brainer on my part.  Fortunately I have an atx case that I can install the new mobo in.  My plan is to abandon the xps case and just salvage the processor/ram.  hopefully that will work. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 9th, 2014 19:00

In that case, you will certainly be in violation of the OEM license if you reactivate.

10 Posts

May 10th, 2014 05:00

Yeah.  If I understand it correctly then I"m going to have to buy a Dell Mobo to not be in violation.  I found a replacement at ebay for $100.  I'm not even sure I want to buy it because I'm concerned that there is something wrong with my current mobo that may be intrinsic to the board itself.  Probably not, I should probably just buy it, but this board has a bad history -- flaws 

other forums I've read have said it is a money pit when trying to fix one of these.. I'd agree.  you end up trying to isolate it and that costs $.  Is it the ram? no.  Is it the video card? no, Is it the blue tooth?  Is it the mobo? is it the processor?  You throw good money after bad.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 10th, 2014 16:00

Put an aftermarket 1155 board in it of similar design to the original.

10 Posts

May 11th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get this one.  Sound good to you?

No Events found!