Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2012 10:00

Dell XPS Desktop will not boot

I bought a Dell XPS from BestBuy about 16 months ago.  Yesterday I sit down at the computer and try to 'wake' it up, but giggling the mouse and hitting the Esc button doesn't work.  After a few minutes of trying, I shut off the power and try to turn it back on.  It would not boot.  I go into the bios, and it does not see my primary harddrive.  The external harddrive and DVD drive are showing up, but no C:

A friend thinks the drive bombed.  Will dell send me a new drive?  I can't imagine 16 months is an acceptable lifespan for a harddrive these days.  My last one on my old PC was still working fine after 7+ years when I upgraded to this new desktop.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 16th, 2012 10:00

"Will dell send me a new drive?"

ONLY if it is still under warranty.  Go here to enter your Service Tag to check the warranty status:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Index?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&t=warranty

Hard drives are the part most prone to fail - they have moving parts, create heat, etc.  With drive failure, it is not a matter of IF but WHEN.  I have a 10 year old PC that still has its original 40GB hard drive, but of the hundreds of drives I've worked with since, I have seen drives die within hours, days, weeks, months, and years of service.

72 Posts

February 16th, 2012 22:00

Also go to the drive manufacturer's site and check the warranty status of the drive itself; OEM drives usually have short warranties, but it's worth checking.

It's also worth checking the cables and connectors before going too much farther.

No Events found!