Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2008 15:00

Dell dimension e510 Hd drive bracket problem

I have a dell dimension E510 with an 80gig sata hd the problem I have is that the case is vibration and letting out a low hum.I eliminated the Power supply as the problem also the Case fan.The vibration is coming the hd well the hd bracket that holds it I posted the only picture i could find of it below.I vibration is shaking the computer which is intern causing the low hum.

I have tried reseating the hd from the upper to lower bay and tried even using the spare hd bracket that come with the comp no luck.Has has anyone had this problem or knows how to fix it thanks.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7898/kmsb9wagkhzkrn9.jpg

5.8K Posts

July 20th, 2008 15:00

One thing that has worked for some of us is to shove something (paper, pieces of mouse pad, etc) between the HD and the case to dampen out the hum.

Peter

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 20th, 2008 19:00

I have an E510 and don't have any problems with the plastic hard drive carriers.  But, I had buzzing or humming and it was the plastic bezel on the front (that has the Dimension E510 tag on it).  I wedged a folded piece of paper between the bezel and the case and that took care of one problem.  Another problem that I fixed was the entire case only has metal "feet" on the bottom and any vibration at all would show up with the case sitting on a solid surface.  I put some felt "feet" on the bottom of the case and that also eliminated another source of noise.  The side cover is another source of potential humming or noise if the cover is not on correctly.  And finally, I had some noise from one of the CD/DVD drives because of the way they are mounted.

It took a while but the E510 is "rattle" free now.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2012 23:00

After 6 years my Buzzing, Vibrating 250 gb Samsung sp2504c Sata hard drive failed in my E510 computer tower from turning off the power cord accidentally.  I replaced it with a 500 gb WD HD and it is now very quiet.  I took a look at the Samsung, It appears that the black plastic cover over the electronic board was flapping and in-turn vibrating the whole computer.  If only I had figured this out 6 years ago!!!  I would have removed this plastic cover!  By the way the computer is still running like a champ.  I think the removable plastic hard drive holders are the best thing since sliced bananas. 

Thank you Dell. 

No Events found!