Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 11:00

Dimension 2400 won't turn on; blinking amber light near power button. HELP!

I decided to clean the other day and unplugged my computer for perhaps the first time in five years. When I had finally reconnected everything ever so carefully, all I could get from the old girl was a blinking amber light on the front of the tower near the power button. There are NONE of the ABCD lights illuminated on the back of the tower, but the green motherboard light IS on when the main power cable is attached. 

I took the side panel off and vacuumed out all the dust bunnies, carefully checked all the connections, and still nothing. No fan, no hard drive-spinning sound, NOTHING except the fast blinking amber light on the front. I can't even open the CD-ROM drives. 

A couple of threads I have read about other models suggest that it might need a new power supply. If this is true, how do I go about getting that done? Can I do it myself, and, if so, how?

I am desperate here. My DH has been telling me to back up our photos for years now, and though I did upload them to a photo site, I don't have any hard copies. I will just die if all our photos are lost. Please help!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 14th, 2009 12:00

Artemis1218 

A blinking amber power button LED, usually indicates a power failure, first open the case and check that all the power cables are properly connected, if this fails to correct the problem, then try replacing the power supply.

The 2400 systems have a open back, you can use most generic standard ATX PSU, with or without, the on/off switch and either a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, you should be able to buy a compatible power supply from a local, or online computer store.

HOW <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> to replace the PSU in a Dimension 2400.

Bev.

133 Posts

January 14th, 2009 12:00

I would not be concerned about the photos, 99.9% they are fine

generally it is a power supply or motherboard that can be the root cause of the issue (not the harddrive where your photos are), however there are many things you can check first.

first - Flea power operation - disconnect the power cable again, hold the power button 15 second, release, plug in power and restart

if that does not work try following the directions in this article

Hope this helps

1 Message

October 14th, 2011 20:00

Had same problem, blinking yellow led, seems to indicate that the power supply is producing stand-by (low current 5V) power but some other voltage(s) are missing when the power switch is hit.  I attached a power supply tester in place of the mother board but left the rest of the connections in place, hit power switch, and the tester indicated the power supply was bad.  I removed the power supply from the computer and tested it again and it indicated the supply was good.  I put the supply back in the computer, plugged the CPU in and removed all other power plugs.  Plugging each drive in and restarting machine I discovered that a zip drive was killing the power supply.  Bad zip, good computer.  ok

1 Message

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Do nto run out and waste money on power supply. Check all devices that are plugged into PC> As this poster has said, something else my be sucking all the power. I unplugged an external back up drive and then the thing started up.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2013 11:00

Answering a thread that's four year old, is surely an exercse in futitity, so I'm locking this thread.

Bev.

No Events found!