Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2006 06:00

Dimension 3000 no video slots??

A year ago I bought a Dimension 3000, now want to add video card but there doesn't seem to be either an AGP slot or PCIe slot?? I'm using all the PCI slots and would don't really want an old card anyway.

February 8th, 2006 09:00

Thanks for that, pretty much what I figured, just disappointed I suppose that there is no provision for upgrading. Hmm dial-up only where I live (primitive eh?), but I do have a spare external modem so I could ditch the internal one.

Next problem is that I haven't been able to find anywhere here (Australia) that sells PCI video cards.

12.1K Posts

February 8th, 2006 09:00

PCI only, and you may have to discard one of those pci slot cards, and go the External USB rout.  If you have cable or dsl modem, you can chuck the dial up modem from the pci slot, giving you one slot for the pci video card.  You have what is called an entry level system, with just the basics for video gaming.  Save some money for a better system later on and do the homework first before any new purchase to know whats in, and whats not.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=128185   Moderators guide to video cards and installation of it on a entry level system

381 Posts

February 9th, 2006 00:00

For $110 one can purchase an extra AGP video slot.  Plus two SATA ports.  Plus two Memory slots.  Plus four more channels of sound.  Invoke the Dell 4600/3000 mobo swapout option.
Curious?
David

February 9th, 2006 04:00

Very interested! Is this easy to do yourself?

February 9th, 2006 16:00

There's also a GeForce 6200 PCI card now.  DirextX 9.0 compatible, not bad performance.
No Events found!