Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 27th, 2004 17:00

Dimension 4600 Bios Removed?

I stop in here every so often to check for crucial updates for my Dimension 4600.  I'll usually grab the latest bios while I'm here.  My question is this.  I'm currently running on (I believe) A08.  It could be A07.  When checking for firmwares today all versions past 5 have been removed.  Should I be concerned and try to flash back to the older version now that the version I'm currently running and the several before it have been removed from the website?  Does anyone know why these were removed?

Thanks for any replies and/or insight.

-Edit- I verified, I'm currently running on A08.  The latest BIOS still listed on this site is now A05.  So the last three have just disappeared.

Message Edited by jab1981 on 03-27-2004 02:13 PM

9.4K Posts

I just check the BIOS versions in the Dell File Library for the 4600 model and found that A02 and A03 are still there.  There is really no reason to flash back to an earlier version if your machine is running good.  All BIOS upgrades are cumulative.  In otherwords the new releases incorporate all the fixes and improvements found in the earlier versions. 

Dell has been know to pull earlier BIOS releases from the library.  The reasons can range from a upgrade had only a minor change which was incorporated into the next version to the version was a little buggy and the next release fix the problem.  If you're concerned about the older versions disappearing you can always download them and save them to your hard drive or burn a CD.

Here is a listing of the files I was looking at:

http://support.dell.com/FileLib/PreviousVersions.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_P4_4600&DeviceID=308&Type=BIOS

Message Edited by Majestic on 03-27-2004 01:16 PM

3 Posts

Ooops... after seeing your link and investigating a little now I can get it to bring up the A08 firmware.  I think it was bringing up the 4600C files, which stopped at A05.  Everything seems to be normal then.

Thanks!

No Events found!