Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 13:00

Dimension 4700 CPU Upgrade / Fan

I just recently upgraded my Dimension 4700 from a 2.8 ghz P4 processor to a 3.4 ghz P4 550.  Since completing the upgrade, the cpu fan runs at full volume as soon as Windows loads and does not slow down.  I've reversed the fan so it blows out instead of in and I've cleaned the case several times to remove dust. 

I've searched the forums and have found lots of dialogue concerning this model and the fan but nothing consistent or specific to a processor upgrade. Do I have any other options?  Can I add a fan or switch to a different fan?  I'm just looking for a little less noise. 

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 16:00

It should be blowing in the original direction for maximum cooling.  The Dell OEM fans have additional electronics in the fan that are "sensed" by the BIOS.  You can use a non Dell fan but you will always get a "fan failure" notice at bootup and have to press F1 to continue the boot.

One option would be to try and add additional case fans to help with cooling.

One thought, if you didn't use it, get some "Arctic Silver" brand thermal compound.  It is considered the best by many techies and I've seen reports of lower CPU temperatures when this brand is used. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 20th, 2010 19:00

The Dell OEM fans have additional electronics in the fan that are "sensed" by the BIOS.  You can use a non Dell fan but you will always get a "fan failure" notice at bootup and have to press F1 to continue the boot.

The reason for the fan failure message is that the OEM fans have a third conductor for RPM feedback that the BIOS uses to vary the fan speed for different temperatures.

My 2350 has a Vantec 92mm x 25mm fan with the third conductor and boots without the error.

11 Posts

April 21st, 2010 19:00

I did wind up using Arctic Silver on the processor and the heatsink. It was a less than straight forward procedure that was recommended, applying a thin layer to the heat sink using a plastic bag then using a small amount on the processors. I've always just put it on the heat sink and "smooshed" it around for a bit. I will flip the fan around and also look for another fan. I have an old XPS 600 case in my garage. I know there are tons of fans in there, maybe I can repurpose one or two. Thanks.
No Events found!