Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2010 11:00

Dimension 5000 wont start

When I press the button to start my desktop PC it lights orange and the cooling fan starts on high speed. The monitor shows nothing. Repeated stops and starts eventually produce a normal startup but it might take 20 goes. Everthing is normal once it is running and I now never shut it down to save the startup hassle!

I suspect the problem is something to do with a faulty temperature measurement that puts the fan on emergency cooling and prevents startup so I took the tower outside the house and cooled it to about 10 degs C. Back indoors it started first time! I have tried this several times and cooling always "cures" the problem. Anybody got a solution?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 9th, 2010 13:00

Peter Don

Is the power button LED, solid amber, or blinking amber?

Did you check the sequence of the DIAGNOSTIC LIGHTS on the front panel of the case?

Have you cleaned the dust buildup from inside of the case, fan, heatsink cooling fins and the air intakes in the front panel recently?

Bev.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2010 10:00

Hi Bev,

The LED is solid amber. The lights don't come on when it fails to startup. If it starts, sometimes I get am-g-g-am and a measage that the floppy drive might have failed. I don't have a floppy drive so key F1 to continue startup. Another feature of the problem is that if I shut down and restart within about 30 mins the startup is usually successful:emotion-43:.

I cleaned out all dust and fluff when this problem started about 2 weeks ago.  

Peter

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 10th, 2010 15:00

Peter Don

YGGY diagnostic lights, indicate a hard drive, or floppy drive problem.

First check in the system setup, that the diskette drive option is set to 'off'' and see if that makes a difference.

Also, run Dell Diagnostic's extended test on the hard drives.

Bev.

3 Posts

March 24th, 2010 15:00

Tried the diskette drive "off" but no change, have found that problem is solved and all starts successful if I switch off the power supply when I shut down:emotion-42:. For some reason i must delay the switch off for a few minutes after the lights go off on the tower for this to be effective, do it too soon and it's back to orange light and whirring fan!

peter

No Events found!