Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2015 12:00

Dimension e521 Not working

I know this is a old desktop but i need your help im trying to get it to work.
The power button blinks green and the aux power is a solid amber color i dont really know alot about computers but can you help

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 28th, 2015 14:00

I know this is a old desktop but i need your help im trying to get it to work.
The power button blinks green and the aux power is a solid amber color i dont really know alot about computers but can you help

Needthepie

A blinking green power light, indicates a 'Standby Power Mode' see page 5 of the Owners Manual for Dell's resolution of the issue.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-e521_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Are there any 'Beeps? [see page 6]

Check the reading of four Diagnostic Lights on the front panel [see page 5].

Bev.

2 Posts

April 28th, 2015 15:00

There is no four diagnostic lights and no beep 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 28th, 2015 22:00

Needthepie

Could be a motherboard issue.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and/or there is no change in the diagnostic lights, it would appear that the motherboard and/or the processor has died.

Note: The processor could have failed, but the only method I know to check it, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

No Events found!