Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 16:00

E510, No www.dell.com boot message, can't use CTRL-F11

I'm trying to retsore my system to the factory install (EULA screen and all) usign teh CTRL-F11 but the www.dell.com (in the blue stripe across the top of the screen) never appears and CTRL-F11 does not work.

How can I restore my system back to the way it came from the factory?

Bob

2 Posts

I have XP.  I had a problem with my hard drive, so I installed a second SATA drive, Installed XP on it, booted from the new drive and ran check disk on the original drive.  There were a bunch of corrupted fiels and broken links which the Windows XP check disk program corrected.  Since then I have been booting off the orignal drive.

I think the "dell logo" line at boot up may have stopped appearing after the disk repair.

I s the any way to restore the CTRL-F11 functionality?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Do you have XP or Vista? If you have XP, press the Ctrl key as soon as you power on and then quickly press F11.  Release both keys at the same time to start PC Restore. If you have factory-installed Vista, the Image Restore feature is on the F8 menu and Ctrl-F11 doesn't do anything.

Did you ever reformat or replace this hard drive? Did you upgrade to Vista or set up a dual boot system? If you did any of those, PC Restore is lost.  You can read this for an inside look at PC Restore and ways you might be able to recover its function.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 17:00

Sounds like you broke the Master Boot Record file which controls access to PC Restore. Read the link I provided.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 18:00

Bob Lappin 

You might be able to repair the Dell PC Restore System by Symantec feature, see HERE

Bev.

No Events found!