This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 11th, 2003 20:00

ERROR 02B2: Incorrect Drive A type - run Setup

Dell Dimension XPS R450
170 Gig Hard Drive
384 Megs RAM
Windows Me

This is about a 5 1/2 year old computer and works well for what I use it for.  I have not installed any new hardware or software  in over a year.  Have all my Windows Updates up-to-date and run the maintenance utilities regularly.

Anyway, about two weeks ago, I restarted my computer (as I do a couple of times a day, just to refresh my memory resources), and got the error message as shown in this subject line.  Of course at this stage of the boot-up, the computer stops booting and gives me 2 options:  Esc to Continue, or Press Del to enter setup. 

If I hit Esc the computer boots up just fine and the floppy drive works just fine as well. 

Here is what I have done so far, and yet the error still appears:

1. Replaced the CMOS battery
  2. Cleared the NVRAM
  3. Entered the CMOS setup and made sure the CMOS settings on the "diskette options" where set to "floppy drive 1.44mb 2.5'"  and it was set to this already. Saved changes and exited.
  4. Checked that the ribbon cable and power cable to the floppy drive was plugged in tight (cleaned inside while I was there as well).

The thing is, that the floppy drive works just fine, it's just the annoyance of the error message that bugs me.

I have ordered an new floppy drive from Dell  and  a new ribbon cable for it.  Don't think replacing these will help but will have them on hand just in case.

Any ideas?

641 Posts

December 11th, 2003 20:00

tedh10000,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Go into the BIOS of the system and set the hard drive as the first boot device and see if that eliminates the error.

254 Posts

December 12th, 2003 20:00

Thanks for the suggestion - set the Hard Drive to First Boot device on start-up in the BIOS. Still get the error.

Start up in the BIOS now looks like this:

First Boot device- Hard drive

Second Boot device- Removeable drive

Third Boot device- CD-ROM

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated...

THX

Larry

641 Posts

December 12th, 2003 20:00

tedh10000,

Go back into the BIOS to the drives and see if the drive is listed correctly. It should be listed as a 1.44 diskette drive or something to that effect.

254 Posts

December 12th, 2003 21:00

Yes, the floppy drive is listed as a 1.44Mb 2.5" dirve.
No Events found!