Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2008 06:00

ETHERNET PORT BROKEN!

Recently, my ethernet port has ceased to work. I have tested it on numerous cables and jacks, but none will read it, or I will get a message that says 'Network cable unplugged'. I took it my school's tech services, and they ran everything they usually do-they said it was my port, not a software problem.
What can I do to fix this?!

4.4K Posts

February 4th, 2008 09:00

First thing we need to know is your computer model number and if XP or Vista.  We may have a simple driver download to try before concluding there is a hardware problem.

February 4th, 2008 12:00

I have a Latitude D620 notebook with XP

4.4K Posts

February 4th, 2008 13:00

Speculating you have the standard broadcom gigabit ethernet port you can try downloading and installing the following driver file to the D620.  Presuming you can't download to the D620 download to a good computer, then copy the file over with a flash drive or CD and install the file. 

Another thing to check is in Device Manager, expand the Network section.  Is your device listed there and is anything yellow-flagged?

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

February 4th, 2008 21:00

I downloaded and installed the driver, but no luck. It seems the physichal part of the port is not working...my ethernet cord feels loose in it, and even though I move it around my computer still does not recognize it as plugged in...do I need to replace it?

1.7K Posts

February 5th, 2008 02:00

The only thing that would cause a plug to be loose is the jacks brass wires to be bent or broken. I think that would require a new jack to be soldered in or get an usb ethernet adapter or pc card

Haha yeah I've heard of that, but I do only have an ethernet cord, no phone.

1.7K Posts

Just a thought if you say your plug is loose, are you trying to use the phone cable in the ethernet port? I've seen it many times.

February 5th, 2008 03:00

:smileysad: Bummer, that's what I was afriad of. Oh well...thanks for the help!
No Events found!