Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 6th, 2006 23:00

Error: STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error?!?!?!?

\systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll.

I've spent hours looking all over the net (deja, microsoft, aumha.org, etc.) and can't find a resolution.

Friend's PC (Dimension 4550), started BSOD'ing a few days ago.  Tried LKGC, Safe Mode, Windows CD to "repair" (fails just after drivers load), even fdisk'd the drive and tried a clean cd install.

Nothing works.

I replaced the RAM, Vid Card, removed the SND card, new IDE cable, different hdd, disconnected the CDRW and DVD drives.  Tried RAM in the second slot.

What's odd is I have about 5 hardware diag progs (Forefront, etc.) and they all check the system clean.  No HDD, CPU, RAM, mainboard or VID errors.

I put the HDD in another system and copied his data off.  Drive checked fine on the second system, so did the video and RAM.

My guess is it's CPU or mainboard related.  Anyone encounter anything like this?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2006 23:00

Sounds more like a dying hard drive. Boot, F12, Dell diagnostic partition, extended test, hard drive.

4 Posts

June 7th, 2006 09:00

Thanks for the reply, however...

Even with a DIFFERENT HDD, I encounter the same error.  I ran all of Dell's diag tests, and no errors were reported.

As I stated above, the HDD, etc. in another machine also checks good with numerous other testing programs.

I can't think of anything other than mainboard or CPU.  Biggest problem is he doesn't have money to "throw" at finding out which one.

84 Posts

June 10th, 2006 00:00

when do you recieve this error? upon loading windows or before.  if you disconnect the HDD from the mobo, does the error still show?
No Events found!