Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 9th, 2008 15:00

Expired Warranty, need restore discs.

well i had my comouter for a while now and it ran great for almost 2 years. i ran into a nasty lil bug that pretty much hacked my comp to bits and upon rebuilding i found that i do not have my restore CD's. i called dell after a friend told me that the service is great even for out of warranty people like me and after 4 transfers to various departments i was dumped to a voice message that said i could pay for teck support and that was it.

now disgruntled, is there any way to get restore CD's for my comp?

12.1K Posts

September 9th, 2008 18:00

Me thinks, Dell should have revised it's cd policy then dropped the first site, and inserted the new policy immediatly right after, so there would not be a break in this link that we are now having issues with for the last number of days. 

I'm not particular smart, but even I could have figured that one out to have less confusion and a fluid change over, but who am I.   :smileymad:

Just venting again 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 9th, 2008 18:00

studderingdave

You should be able to obtain a set of Dell reinstallation discs, even if the computer is out of warranty.

See here

Dell did have a form online, that could be completed to obtain the reinstallation discs, but seems that Dell has removed the form and revised this policy and you need to contact Customer Service, or Technical Support, here, either by calling or eMail, to request the discs.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

September 9th, 2008 23:00

k so i went to the customer service page but i got confused, where is the link to get the discs? i see almost everything else there but that, unless im totally blind.

September 10th, 2008 11:00

well i called customer care and after 4 transfers (after i gave them all my info and waited for a while) i got no where. i figure i could get somewhere on the dell site but its as bad as their customer service.

i guess ill wait until they "revise" their restore disc form, until then i will be computerless :manmad:

12.1K Posts

September 10th, 2008 11:00

Link does not get you or anyone to the Disk fill in form link anymore.  For some reason its either being revised or something else.  You have to call customer care or tech support and ask for the disk sdufferingdave

2.4K Posts

September 10th, 2008 21:00

Why don't you ask around for a disk, or am I correct in assuming that no one has a copy.

September 10th, 2008 22:00

are restore discs personalized for each computer, or are they just for the make of the computer?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2008 02:00

@studderingdave wrote:
are restore discs personalized for each computer, or are they just for the make of the computer?

No, the reinstallation discs are not personalized for each computer, but you do need same version of windows that was factory installed.

Bev.

September 11th, 2008 06:00

ok so i just need to get windows XP restore cd's then. besides the dell site is there a place to get those?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2008 19:00

studderingdave

Dell has reposted the 'Request Backup Discs' form on their website, go here.

Bev.

September 11th, 2008 22:00

filled that out, i was thankful the purchase ID wasnt maditory, i dont have much of my paperwork. hopefully the discs come and i can fix my comp.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2008 23:00

studderingdave

I received my discs from Dell in three to four days.

Bev.

No Events found!