Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 27th, 2010 16:00

GX60 will not read DVDs but will read CDs

I have a small desktop Dell Optiplex GX60 here which I purchased from a school as a retired unit. It was manufactured around 2003/2004 and it is on BIOS revision A02. It was not provided with an optical drive, so I installed a DVD-ROM using the provided ribbon and power source. This DVD-ROM was previously in my desktop PC and worked perfectly. The problem I am having is that the DVD-ROM drive will read/boot off of CDs but not DVDs. As I said, the drive reads DVDs fine, but the computer will not acknowledge their existence.

I then swapped to another DVD-ROM drive, again one that we in my desktop and is working perfectly, and this one also produced the same results, ruling out the DVD drive, or the cable.

In both cases, the drives were recognised by the BIOS as CD-Readers, and as I assume is the requirement, both drives were installed, one at a time, in cable select mode with 1 device per IDE cable.

Currently the device is acting as a smoothwall firewall, but the problem is either hardware or BIOS I/O based as the PC will not boot from DVDs but it will boot from CDs.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 27th, 2010 18:00

You posted this in the Desktop General Hardware forum. You might get a better response over in the DIsk Drive forum. :emotion-5:

Be sure to include the version of Windows in your posts, too.

Ron

6 Posts

April 28th, 2010 02:00

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Please note that as stated in my first post the PC is acting as a smoothwall firewall. Also, this is not a disk drive issue as I have tried multiple drives and all of the tested drives work perfectly in other computers.

Collinsl

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 28th, 2010 04:00

Regardless of application, the forum section as noted is where drive problems should be reported.

6 Posts

April 28th, 2010 06:00

Again, this is NOT a drive issue, this is a BIOS issue.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 28th, 2010 07:00

Apparently with the "smooth firewall" you are using Linux.  Linux has it's own drivers and issues and the Linux section of the forum is the place for both hardware and software issues. 

Be advised with an "older" PC such as this whatever BIOS is available in the Dell downloads is the ONLY BIOS updates that will ever be available, if it is a BIOS issue, which I doubt since the drives are being recognized.

6 Posts

April 28th, 2010 10:00

Again, please actually take tje time to read my first post and understand it properly. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT FROM DVDS. This is NOT AN OS ISSUE

Please consider this thread closed, I am giving up on trying to get you understanding my problem. Obviously Dell tech support is worse than the absolutely terrible stories I keep hearing.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 28th, 2010 11:00

Excuse me, but it's YOU who mis-understand...

First of all, the people who responded to your post, including myself, do NOT work for Dell. We are users of Dell products, just like you.  We volunteer our time to help other users solve PC problems. So keep the snide comments about Dell support to yourself.

Second, you refuse to listen. The best place for your  problem is the disk drive forum because those volunteers are real experts on problems like why you can't boot from a DVD.

You posted this in the General Hardware forum so you're not likely to get an answer to why the system hates you and refuses to boot from a DVD.

Ron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 28th, 2010 12:00

Like Ron, I am not a Dell employee but both of us have many years working in commercial or US Federal Government Computer maintenance and support. (My computer experience goes back to 1962).  The forum is broken into several sections specifically so those with certain problems can post on the most applicable forum section.  In addition, as Ron noted, there are users (like you and me - not Dell employees) that are more proficient in specific areas or particular product lines and can offer more assistance.

We are not trying to hassle you, we are trying to help you.  If you won't let us help you there's nothing more we can do.  Maybe some other Internet forum will be better.

No Events found!