Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 18th, 2007 21:00

How do I fix these malfunctioning pixels?

Hi, I've been having video troubles with my computers ever since I had my first one. This one however, a Dimension 9150, seems to to be better, but not quite. You see, I'm a video gamer, the kind that plays hours on end until the computer's fan breaks, the computer overheats, and almost catches on fire (happened to my last computer). The problem this time, is mostly with my games, but also with my video in general as well. Apparently random pixels, usually red or green but occasionally blue, orange, white, or black, keep appearing on my background which I have changed multiple times and within internet pages. When I scroll, they multiply themselves in a column down the page. I have tried changing my resolution, brightness, color codes on the monitor, installed any needed drivers, programs, or other needed things. I've uninstalled old junk games, restarted my computer multiple times, cleaned my computer, and reconnected manually to the internet. I know some of these things wouldn't have helped, but I'm sixteen, I don't know much of anything about computers, and I need help really bad.

My games are also not functioning. The textures on monsters and players and pretty much anything that moves eventually jet off and stretch off of the screen. Then I get the "Blue Screen of Death", which I have researched the info listed in each one, and nothing seems to be helping me. None of my games are working, pixels are changing with the background, and my computer is getting slower. I have no idea how to fix it anymore. Please help me. Thanks

523 Posts

October 19th, 2007 02:00

It sounds like your video card may be going bad. The thing I would try first would be to unhook everything from the case, pull the side off the case and spray the dust out of the system (with canned air spray or an air compressor). Sometimes components like the video card overheat and cause similar issues. Dust collects on fans and airflows get blocked causing the heat to continually build up inside the machine. This causes failures in the video and cpu usually.
- let us know what specs your system is (cpu type & speed, RAM, video & audio cards, etc).
If the cleaning doesn't change anything, try hooking up the pc to another monitor. If you get the same problems than the culprit will likely be the video card. You mentioned that you reseached the BSOD errors, but to no avail. Let us know what errors you receive and we may be able to decipher them better. Your card may also be underpowered for the games you're trying to play, so an upgrade may be the favorable choice, but since your 16, that could be a tough sell to your folks, too.
Let us know what you have and what you find out and we'll continue to try to help out.
Grant

October 20th, 2007 01:00

Thank you many times! Cleaning the inside of the computer I think helped, along with changing some settings here and there. All in all, I GOT NO MORE SEEMINGLY DEAD PIXELS! Thanks alot. You saved me hours of suffer and frustration. ^^:smileyhappy:

523 Posts

October 20th, 2007 02:00

You're very welcome. Performing physical maintenance on the hardware is just as important as maintaining the software as well. My pc's are defragged 2 or 3 times a week, and I use another program called 'jv16 Power Tools' (freeware) to maintain the registry weekly. You may find that your system runs more stable when you keep it updated and cleaned. Anyway - glad I could help!
Grant
No Events found!