Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 25th, 2013 17:00

How to enable onboard video card (for W8 - XPS 8500)

Hi everyone, I just got the Dell XPS 8500 and I want to set up dual monitor , the problem is I got 1 new and one old monitor (can't affort anather new one) but the old one do not have a HDMI or DVI input  only VGA so I want to enable the onboard video card than I can connect the old one from there. Please help.

thanks for your time.

13 Posts

January 25th, 2013 22:00

Thanks you very much Ron.  I will try again, before I click F2 before the promt maybe that why it  doesn't show anything.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2013 17:00

Connect a monitor to the DVI or HDMI port on the video card. Boot the system and press F2 before Windows starts to load to open BIOS setup.

Look for the Intel Multi Monitor Display option and enable that. Save the change and exit setup. After the PC gets to the desktop, shut down normally and connect the second monitor to the VGA port and then reboot.

13 Posts

January 25th, 2013 18:00

thx for reply. yes I did but can't find anything like intel Multi Monitor option to enable after click F2(this is my first time on W8, very confuse)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2013 19:00

BTW: If the new monitor accepts either HDMI or DisplayPort and the video card has one of those plus a DVI-i output port, you have another option:

Connect the new monitor to either HDMI or DP on the video card and connect the VGA monitor to DVI-i on the video card using an inexpensive DVI-i>VGA adaptor on the monitor end of the DVI-i cable. In this case, you won't need to enable the Intel Multi Monitor Display option in BIOS setup.

NOTE: If the video card DVI port is DVI-d, this won't work because only DVI-i supports VGA.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 25th, 2013 19:00

It's in BIOS setup under Onboard Device Configuration. It's called Intel Multi Display, not Multi Monitor (my bad!!)

See page 122, here.

13 Posts

January 28th, 2013 17:00

I got it, thx very much Ron.

by the the way I need an advice,  I use autocad rendering and the graphic color very blurring, so the video card not good is nought (if so, which one would work with this system) or I have to adjust something with the video card?

thanks a lot.

Viet.

100 Posts

January 28th, 2013 20:00

I confirm this is the right procedure as I just did this last night.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 28th, 2013 21:00

Suggest you start a new thread about your video question because I don't know what would be a better video card.

Is the resolution set correctly to match your monitor's optimal (native) resolution?

13 Posts

January 30th, 2013 16:00

OK. thx.

No Events found!